Warhammer: Invasion» Forums » General

Subject: Balancing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Le Ötz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I will probably buy the Core Set to play it with friends. How balanced are the factions?
Being a casual player I'm not much into deck building. But I might buy one booster of some of the expansions. How much does this affect balancing if I add the new cards to the decks?
I used to play MtG and deck building took a lot of time, I simply don't have anymore and I rather play the game than build decks. Since probably none of my friends will start WH:I, it is important for me, that my decks are balanced, so I can play them with my friends with minimal prep time.
Any ideas/suggestions on this? (I know I could play another game with fixed decks, but the Warhammer theme intrigues me )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any CCGs. I find W:I very well balanced. Maybe Chaos is the weakest faction in the core set (or it's very hard to play with Chaos ) Core Set is very playable without battle packs. But sooner or later you'll probably want to buy somew new BPs. I'm little afraid that without new cards and some deck building it can come to the moment where you'll know that this faction will with this one if I get card A sooner than my oponent will get card B. Still there are some draft rules in in Core Set, you can mix two factions.

If you want to play with your friends with one Core Set with some Battle Packs added from time to time I think that W:I is a way to go.
If you want to play with other people that will have couple of Core Sets + Battle Packs and will build their decks - than with deck from Core Set you will loose probably 9/10 games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Johnson
Canada
Quesnel
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have years of CCG background. I have the core set and am quite excited about this one.

I have made a pact with my friends - we aren't going to go crazy buying multiple sets to collect chase cards. We aren't going to be competing on a tournament level.

Looking at the nature of the boosters, I think it will take a few months worth of boosters before balancing becomes an issue.

There is a really neat drafting mechanic introduced in this game. You take the 220 cards in the box, split them between the two alignments. One player plays each alignment. You take turns drafting (counter-drafting) out of five 15 card packs in order to make two playable 50 card decks. Cards with drafting powers have been introduced (the cards are useless during the game, but drafting them gives you a small advantage in the draft - some give you a benefit, others give your opponent a penalty).

It gives you a lot of replayability without even going to the boosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a ton of CCG's, definitely 50+. I would say most of those were unbalanced to say the least, which means it's hard to balance a CCG.

With that said, the core set gives you 4 decks that are as balanced as it could get. Some are a little better, yes, but I say that they all work great against each other. The other cards outside of the decks seem balanced also.

The thing is in most CCGs, the cards can be water downed. It seems in W:I that the cards are balanced towards being more powerful and that's something I like. There doesn't seem to be any weak cards, partly thanks to loyalty. But I still got a lot more time to play with these to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting
Draft works best as written if you are splitting the card pool within the same alignments. This allows you to keep most of the counter-drafted cards and incorporate it into your deck. Else with just one core set and no one playing much neutrals, you may end up with a less than 50 card deck. You can of course go for a sixth draft as a houserule solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.