J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Should I even continue?

Or should I take a break from designing, and play more games?

The good news is, my idea is still reasonably different from those games AND I really enjoy those games, just realised that there are some really really good games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa, our hobby is one where we play! Don't stop your designing or you'll stop a version of your playing. It's okay if you design a crappy game or a game that someone else has already made. Rome wasn't built in a day and Faulkner didn't become an awesome writer right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep doing both. Like all activities (whether it be writing, acting, baseball, playing guitar), the more you see how others do it, the more you develop a 'vocabulary' of techniques that can push you in new directions.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

...Faulkner, in my opinion, has yet to become a great writer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't even think about stopping designing. What do people do in film school? They watch movies and make movies. What do creative writing majors do? They read literature and they write their own. Creative endeavors require practice as well as knowledge, so I wouldn't ever suggest emphasizing one at the expense of the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One day, I will show my game design portfolio to someone.
And they will hire me.

Don't stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the supportive comments.

I think the big problem is, I dont want to turn the game idea I already have into just another RFTG type game. I can see a few key changes but then of course the tricky part is, how do I know if the original creators didnt try those mechanics and find them clunky.

So it goes.

Either way, time to write the stuff down, and print some cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.