Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Game is too easy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing VANILLA Arkham Horror with 3 other friends against Nyarlathotep with altered rules like

1. No reduction of doom counters on sealing gates EDIT: Forget to mention on Elder Sign Unique items
2. No revealing of which other-world the gates lead to
3. Trading only once per turn, and only 1 item

and it was pretty damn easy. We defeated the ancient one after he came out pretty quickly, it even got to the point where I started intentionally sabotaging the game (As researcher, refused to allow re-rolls for allies, arguing technicalities, disapproving of rolls done out of turn ETC.) . Granted, Nyarlathotep is probably a bad example of a "hard" monster, so the next game we're playing is against Cthulu. Is there any ideas to make the game harder? I plan to buy Dunwich Horror later on, so I am looking for harder house rules.

Otherwise, this is a pretty kickass game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You normally only reduce a doom token if you're sealing a gate using an Elder Sign. If you seal one normally with clues, you don't remove a doom token.

Nyarlathoptep is pretty much a pushover in final combat. You normally have a pretty good chance of defeating it even if you haven't prepared.

A rule of thumb is that if you've found the game too easy on your first play-through, you've probably played something wrong. Of course, you could've just been lucky too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, we didn't remove the doom counter from the ancient one when the elder sign artifact was played.

This was our 2nd playthrough, and I'm pretty sure we got everything done right. Its such a shame on Nyarlathoptep's easiness :S I liked how he looked the best.

So are we gonna get destroyed by Cthulu? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rasmussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Arkham becomes to easy (which it will) then Dunwich is a great expansion.. toughens it up alot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Ng
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats good then, Arkham Horror feels like it OOZES with quality but the difficulty is much too low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find things too easy and you don't want to acquire expansions (yet...), by all means houserule certain aspects of the game.

One variant suggested on other threads (I forget which) changed the way in which gates open. We played this way for quite a while until we got Dunwich.

1. If a gate opens on an empty location place a gate and monster as normal but do not add a doom token.

2. If a gate tries to open where there is already a gate, place a doom token (or two) on the doom track of the big baddie. We also place a monster (or two) on the gate. Originally, this would have triggered a monster surge.

3. If a gate tries to open on an elder sign, trigger a monster surge. Originally, there would have been no ill effect.

These altered rules are quite thematic in that the opening of gates is not as dangerous as allowing them to remain on the board for too long. Also, any gate openings on elder signs, frustrates the big baddie and forces it to send it's minions on to the streets and locations of Arkham. Using this variant you will find that the doom track moves slowly at first, but picks up speed quite nastily.

It also might be worth just carrying on with the rules as stated in the rulebook for a little while. You might find that you were just lucky. Unpleasant combinations on nasty monsters, rumours and environments have broken us many a time.

Edited for basic literacy mistakes blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thermopylae wrote:
Is there any ideas to make the game harder?

Yes, make sure you are playing everything correctly.

There are quite a few threads on this topic which invariably boil down to someone playing the rules (or even just a single key one) incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 4 or 5 times now, only came close to winning twice but ran out of time (more than 3 hours play on the last occasion). Got spanked the other times. But yeah, there were things we were missing on the first play, for instance monsters being sucked back in when gates closed (as we were packing up I said that I wondered why the gate discs had symbols on them), and we were also making spellcasting too easy on ourselves so I guess that balances.

I've been careful not to read up on strategies or anything like that, and have to say that I don't find the game too easy at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d k
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it can be easy sometimes but it's also down to luck. (AND perfect understanding of the rules of course)
Last night I wanted to play a quick solo no expansions game before I went out, if I remember correctly chose the researcher,the gangster,the scientist and the photographer,pretty hardcore team,against Yig. Some bad dice, some "get cursed" encounters, some unfortunate monster picks and movement and on top of it that rumor that puts doom tokens when you roll 1 or 2.........Started the game at 23:00, at 23:20 I was packing everything in again, having lost terribly but really enjoyed the game cause there were some really tough decisions to make while playing,though I only wanted a quick easy win....Some games can be easy,but I wouldn't say that for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, reread the rules right now and I bet you're finding that you're not doing everything correct. If it's too easy, you're probably missing a rule or two. Even afer many games, we find we're doing something wrong...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Seriously, reread the rules right now and I bet you're finding that you're not doing everything correct. If it's too easy, you're probably missing a rule or two. Even afer many games, we find we're doing something wrong...

-shnar

QFT. The game is amazing - and usually hard. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the base game to be too easy as well. In my opinion to really get a good challenging game, you really need one of the board expansions. I would also suggest starting with the Dunwich expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some players who do not consider a final battle a win.
They only consider the closing of gates as a win.

Final Battle with some of the expansion Old Ones is extremly difficult.
Add the Epic Battle cards from Kingsport and ratchet up the difficulty.

Try winning by meeting the gate closing requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
There are some players who do not consider a final battle a win.
They only consider the closing of gates as a win.

I do count final combat "win" as draw, but seal 6 gates still counts as a win (so not only closing gates).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Crawford
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a real challenge in Final Combat fight Azathoth. This guy is tough. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
When I hear a player say that AH is too easy and the person has won nearly every time they played it, I really have my doubts about the player's interpretation of the rules.

Ofcourse, luck does play a role.....once, maybe twice, but !

Just re-read the rules, please. I think you might find you may have misinterpreted them.

AH is not an easy game and even though you say it is. Give it a few more shots.

Regards.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Asplund
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
Add the Epic Battle cards from Kingsport and ratchet up the difficulty.

I concur. Although I am one of those people that finds Arkham Horror plenty difficult enough (I have found winning to be a fluke), I noticed that the Epic Battle deck definitely kicked up the Final Battle. What I found to be the most interesting aspect to it was making some of the less impressive Ancient Ones a little bit more nasty through their special cards.

Yig, for example, will re-curse the entire group. Since he curses the group at the start of battle, this has the chance of destroying the group automatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Asplund
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brian C wrote:
If you want a real challenge in Final Combat fight Azathoth. This guy is tough.

When I got my hands on Kingsport Horror, I spent a great deal of time trying to find the Epic Battle cards for Azathoth... :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
profound_dark wrote:
Brian C wrote:

When I got my hands on Kingsport Horror, I spent a great deal of time trying to find the Epic Battle cards for Azathoth... :-(

I am sure they just got stuck to another set. Keep looking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SIMPLE IDEA; "house rule" Nyar's combat rating to -6!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played maybe 12 times this game. First three games we lost, and after that we have won all games. I think the game is too easy. I think we have always won via sealing gates. And I'm pretty sure we have used correct rules.

Some stats from other cooperative games I have played:

-Lord of the Rings. Maybe 6 plays in medium difficulty and 1 win.
-Shadows over Camelot. Without traitor we have won always. With traitor only one victory for good guys. We have played at least 15 times.
-Red November. 2 plays and 2 defeats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you suss out the tactic for beating the base game, it's relatively easy to win. Knowing which locations to seal and which ones can be ignored, how to deal with tough monsters (without necessarily fighting them) and how to harvest clue tokens efficiently are all skills that new players will quickly pick up over a few games.

However, there are plenty of ways in which the game can be beefed up. The expansions are the most obvious method, but you may well prefer not to shell out extra cash. If so, you can consider adopting a houserule or two.

1. Try two monsters with each gate opening.
2. Reduce the number of gates needed to trigger the big baddy.
3. Drawing more than one mythos card on each turn (only using the 'gate' portion of the second card). When we have used this houserule we normally only trigger it once we have two, three or four elder signs on the board.
4. Start with two doom tokens on the GOO.

There are many more ways in which you can ratchet up the difficulty if you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I suggest you reread the rules, just as a refresher. It seems like everytime I reread the rules, I find one small rule that I've overlooked that makes a difference in the difficulty of the game. There may be something you're overlooking...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Ruesch
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
profound_dark wrote:
Brian C wrote:

Please tell me you're kidding. I don't really have to tell you why there are none...do I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
And I suggest you reread the rules, just as a refresher. It seems like everytime I reread the rules, I find one small rule that I've overlooked that makes a difference in the difficulty of the game. There may be something you're overlooking...

-shnar

I did what you suggested and scrambled trough the rules. Indeed, I found a rule we have never used: If gate is closed mosters with the same symbol are returned to the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.