Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Webb
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
The rule preventing transfer of troops often leaves my best leader with no siege artillery. I can't accept that the King of France would be left without cannon because they're with a minor noble in Ile de France. In the troop deployment phase I think it should be possible to detach and redeploy gunners to three star leaders (perhaps only Kings).
Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're really worried about "reality," it's unlikely the King of France would go to battle without some other nobles with him.

Those minor nobles can be part of his group that attacks whatever it is you want to attack and he'll have the benefit of the gunners without having to make up a special rule to that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Webb
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Kevin, you're absolutely right about the accompanying nobles but I thought that was the point of requiring a three star leader to command the special cavalry troops. If you're going to have a chance at besieging enemy controlled areas though - especially those with a 2 or 3 point value, you're going to want the die roll modifier of the gunners (or trebuchets, if we're talking the Lion in Winter scenario). Those expensive siege troops were a luxury only royalty could afford to use. I'm just suggesting that the rules variant would address this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Worth a try, though I fear you're opening pandora's box.

If your opponent has an opportunity to siege roll with a good number you may consider decontrolling the area out from under them prior to the battle.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am slow to create variants myself, especially if the game's mechanism does not (really) require it, and it create long-term problems that were not part of the original intent (Sag's point on pandora).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.