Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are these dots wrap letters? It prevents you from building a straight line track on row D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
It prevents you from building a straight line track on row D.

Not, I would presume, if you are the first one building track using that wrap letter... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what this reply means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not own Martian Rails, but I do own Lunar Rails.

Unless there is a specific Martian Rails game rule that states that "single" wrap letters cannot be used (as they have no matching wrap letters) I was assuming they worked the same as the "paired" wrap letters in Lunar Rails - only one track segment into the wrap letter and only one track segment out of its paired wrap letter.

As these "single" wrap letters do not have a paired letter I had presumed these letters simply allowed the first player who build track into that wrap letter would be able to build track out of it as well.

This would be no different than any other wrap letter which allows the first player who connects to it access to to build track out of its paired wrap letter, after that no players can gain further access to those wrap letters.

If this is incorrect, and therefore these wrap letters cannot be entered at all (or have different track-laying rules), I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a rule that you can't build out of the same wrap letter into which you built - thus, once you've built into the single wrap letters, you've dead ended. I suppose we could house rule that you can build out of the singles, in which case they might as well be plain dots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Moskowitz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My understanding is that they're supposed to be basically "free" dots - you can build in to them for free and then immediately out of them. That keeps the cost of building across the "rift" consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
There's a rule that you can't build out of the same wrap letter into which you built - thus, once you've built into the single wrap letters, you've dead ended. I suppose we could house rule that you can build out of the singles, in which case they might as well be plain dots.

I just picked up a copy of the game. On page 2 of the Martian Rails Specific Rules it states:

The ±D' and ±D* wrap-letters are singular but track may be built though them as if each were a paired wrap letter.

The diagram also shows an orange line example that has track going into -D* for 0M and proceeding to a Mountain milepost for 2M and continuing to another Mountain milepost for another 2M (a total of 4M).

Edit: The black line going from -D* to the desert is marked invalid because the example already has you building track going to the Mountain. Just as with a pair of wrap-letters you can only build one segment in and out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late, but I thought I'd throw in my own trick for visualizing the wrap nodes.

Each of the wrap "mileposts" actually represent a stretched gap between two adjacent mileposts.
Layout on board (mileposts as numbers)
2 3
4 D 5
6 E E 7
8 F F 9

Layout in my mind
2 3
4 5
6 7
8 9

So you have mileposts in a square configuration instead of the usual triangular one. But the same rules apply. So valid connections are between 1-2, 1-3, 2-3, 2-4, 3-5, 4-5, 4-6, 5-7, 6-7, 6-8, 7-9 and 8-9. Connections across the diagonal of a square are disallowed (e.g.: 2-5, 3-4) because they are too far apart (and it would be too much trouble to try and pay √2 million marsbucks).

This also illustrates why wrap node D isn't a regular milepost.

It's not the letter of the lawrulebook, but I think it captures the spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know about any of this complicated stuff. The rules are poor on this subject, the examples given contradict the rules, and the examples contradicts each other.

We play... each wrap point connects to the obvious horizontal mile marker it connects to, plus it also connects to the one obvious diagonal mile marker that it appears to connect to.

In this way, D wrap points work in exactly the same way as all of the other wrap points. All wrap points connect to exactly 2 mile markers on the other side - the 2 obvious mile markers! I think this is the intent of the rules. I can't be certain. This approach is the simplest way to interpret the overly complicated wrapping rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.