Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Ikusa» Forums » Variants

Subject: My Own Shogun Variant -- with VPs and Turn Limits -- Comments Welcome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai Swords Variant

A. End Game and Victory Conditions

The regular game lasts 6 turns. At the end of the 6th turn, Victory Points (VPs; see below) are calculated. If one player has at least 3 more VPs than any other, the game is over. If there is at least one player that has a score that is within 1, 2, or 3 VPs, the game is extended a turn and VPs are again computed at the end of the 7th turn with the consideration to whether any player is winning by at least 3 VPs. If there are no players within 1 o2 VPs of the leader, the game is over. If there is no clear victor ahead by 2 VPs, there is an 8th round. At the end of the 8th and final round, the player with the highest VPs wins.

B. Set-Up

1. Deal Out Province Cards.

Players are given an initial number of province cards and spearmen based on the number of players in the game.

Number of Players and Initial Province Cards

3 = 22
4 = 17
5 = 13

2. Claim Provinces

Each player places one spearman in each province they drew.

3.Draw Swords.

4.Claim Extra Provinces and Place Reinforcements

Each player takes 18 spearmen from their reserve. In sword order, players place 3 spearmen with the following restrictions:
• Only one previously unoccupied province may be claimed
• No province can have more than 3 spearmen during set-up phase.

After placing 3 spearmen, the next player follows with a similar placement until all spearmen are placed.

5. Set Up Army Cards and Place Armies

Each player has the following units to divide among the three army cards:
• 5 Bowman
• 5 Swordsman
• 6 Gunners

Players then take turns in sward order placing their Daimyo’s armies until all three have been placed in separate provinces.

C. Player Elimination

A player is no longer eliminated when there last Daimyo is killed. If the player without a Daimyo controls other provinces at the time their last Daimyo is killed, at the end of the turn they choose another province and promote a unit of their choice to become the Daimyo. If they have no other provinces, they can choose any province with 1 spearman from another opponent (whose spearman is removed). If there are not provinces with 1 spearman, the player may choose an opponents province with 2 spearmen (that are then removed), etc.

The player who eliminates the last Daimyo of an opponent collects any Koku the opponent was saving, a 2 Koku bounty from the bank, and regains any of their own lost Daimyo armies.

The player with the reinstated Daimyo is given a 4 Koku stake at the end of the turn instead of their regular income. Their units are no longer eliminated.

D. Death of First Daimyo

When the first Daimyo of any player is eliminated the player responsible for killing him keeps the figure. If he still has the figure at the end of the game (i.e., unless the owner kills the last Daimyo of an opponent and regains their lost Daimyos) it is worth 2 VPs.

E. Saving Koku.

At the end of the Plan phase, players may save 2 Koku for future rounds. Any more than 2 that are not allocated during planning are lost.

F. Daimyo Experience

When a defending Daimyo survives a battle against another Daimyo (who retreats or is killed), the defending Daimyo gains and experience level.

A Daimyo’s army may only gain 1 level of experience during a given player’s turn (including the owning player’s turn).

G. Victory Points

At the end of Turn 6, VPs are counted based on the following:
• Total the number of provinces and Koku the player owns and divide by 3. Keep track of fractions for tie-breaks.
• 1 VP for every Castle
• 1 VP for every Fortification base beneath a Castle
• 2 VP for every “1st Daimyo” of an opponent that was eliminated that is still possessed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good to me. Having different units at set up is interesting. Your ideas are really similar to my own. My VP Shogun rules variant is posted as a file here on BGG below. I would be curious as to what you think of mine since our views are so similar:

a. no more player elimination
b. fixed number of rounds to be played
c. rules governing "OT" for extra rounds when the game is close

My rules were intended to encourage aggression against multiple opponents to show one's dominance, and thus become SHOGUN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,

I certainly looked at your variant...it was very influencial.

I wanted to simplify a little as I will be teaching new players rather than playing with experienced ones. So I went with an incentive to try to capture daimyos from players with complete sets. The "no honor -- peace" tokens seemed a bit complicated.

I also wanted to reward territories and fortifications more than experience levels...the latter being a path to the former. But if you can have the most provinces and castles after being ninja'd a bunch, more power to you.

-Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the good words. I think your variant looks fun, have at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.