Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd like to get my wife into playing the occasional AD&D game session. Just her and me. Is there something in the huge mess of years of paper that you'd suggest for someone (her) who isn't really a keen RPG'r and one (me) who has fond memories?

I want something inexpensive and simple... no fiddly counters or hordes of necessary player facts that she'd have to memorize... just something for her to have occasional fun with... your suggestions would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hit rpgnow.com for a decent collection of 1 on 1 adventures designed for 1 GM and 1 player. There is a thief one that is less game rules-centric.
You can use the free PAthfinder rules.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=64278&fil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
Hit rpgnow.com for a decent collection of 1 on 1 adventures designed for 1 GM and 1 player. There is a thief one that is less game rules-centric.
You can use the free PAthfinder rules.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=64278&fil...

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been looking for something like this, too. And The Pleasure Prison of the B’thuvian Demon Whore looks intriguing (and award-winning). laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps posting at http://rpg.geekdo.com/ rather than boardgamegeek.com will get you more answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mbourgeois wrote:

I'd like to get my wife into playing the occasional AD&D game session. Just her and me. Is there something in the huge mess of years of paper that you'd suggest for someone (her) who isn't really a keen RPG'r and one (me) who has fond memories?

I want something inexpensive and simple... no fiddly counters or hordes of necessary player facts that she'd have to memorize... just something for her to have occasional fun with... your suggestions would be appreciated.

I highly suggest, for newbies, for experienced players... to do something like a thematic boardgame like A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game or if you have more time Arkham Horror. It's really easy to get bogged-down in rules lawyering and "what does cantrips do, really?" with a full-on AD&D book.

Whereas, the thematic boardgames have most all of 'the good stuff' on the cards in a very concise, and limited format.

EDIT: I've yet to see a roleplaying session without some rule fight, and I imagine with a spouse, you would need a set of polyhedral dice, and a cage to have a no-holds-barred battle royale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Tip: When you do run her in an RPG, don't throw any mechanics at her. Just translate her actions into RPG-ese, roll the dice, and tell her the results.

Of course, five seconds after your first failed die roll, she'll want to roll the dice herself. Then when you explain how stats affect die rolls, she'll want input in creating a character. You can then congratulate yourself on seducing her to the RPG side. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

I highly suggest, for newbies, for experienced players... to do something like a thematic boardgame like A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game or if you have more time Arkham Horror. It's really easy to get bogged-down in rules lawyering and "what does cantrips do, really?" with a full-on AD&D book.

Whereas, the thematic boardgames have most all of 'the good stuff' on the cards in a very concise, and limited format.

EDIT: I've yet to see a roleplaying session without some rule fight, and I imagine with a spouse, you would need a set of polyhedral dice, and a cage to have a no-holds-barred battle royale.

Good point. Runebound (Second Edition) would be great for this as well, especially since it's thematically very D&D. And since w/2 players, it doesn't bog down time-wise the way it does with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Quote:
where should I start?

In a tavern.

Sag.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Quote:
where should I start?

In a tavern.

Sag.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

LOL.

I was thinking "The Keep on the Borderlands" or "The Village of Hommlett", but you're answer was spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.