Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: SaltCON, Salt Lake City Utah, February 26-28 2010 (Board Game Convention) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: saltcon [+] [View All]
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2010 SaltCON is brought to you by the same gamers who brought you the 2009 A Gathering of Strangers.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/406481

Date: February 26-28

Time: 26th (Ion Award Judging) 8am to 3pm, 27th (Open Gaming) 8am to Midnight, 28th (Open Gaming) 10am to 4pm

EVENTS:

Tournaments:
Power Grid
Dominion
Settlers of Catan
Space Alert
CCG Tournaments Saturday 10am to 4pm.
Prizes will be awarded!

Demos & Hosted Games:
Wits & Wagers: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20100
Ultimate Werewolf: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38159
Bellicose Fantasy Battles: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/45265/bellicose-fanta...
Hagoth Builder of Ships: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42969/hagoth-builder-...
Pro Football Franchise: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63684/pro-football-fr...
Z-Man Games, ??:
Brand New Games: Nay-Jay Tournament, Prizes for the top placer(s).

Giveaways: We have 14 sponsors so far and counting who are donating gift certificates, T-shirts and games. This will be done periodically throughout both days of the convention.

Math Trade: Dan Naylor is the man!! Look for the postings for it around February 15th.
SaltCON (Utah) No-Ship Math Trade 2010 [CLOSED: 111 Trades!]
SaltCON no-ship Math Trade 2010 Discussion Thread [COMPLETE]

Game Library: There will be a game library on-site for use by attendees.

Game Trade Table: There will be a game trade table on-site for use by attendees.

Contests: Ion Gaming Award Competition!! Dust off your prototypes and get in the contest!

Tickets: There is a paypal link on the website for tickets purchases. These tickets will be available at the door.
If you would like to purchase your ticket in person you can do so at Game Night Games.

Calling All Tabletop Game Designers * * * *

From the people who brought you "A Gathering of Strangers 2009", comes a new kind of game competition and convention.

The Ion Award at SaltCON 2010 will be the equivalent of the Sundance Film Festival of games in the U.S.

We want to evaluate your prototype games. Last year, we had 4 game publishing companies send their Presidents, VP's, and private playtesters to play 6 selected games. Four of the 6 were taken by those same publishers back home for further evaluation. As of right this minute, we have five publishers coming and eager to see what you have.

The contest is in two phases. For the first phase, you will submit a form describing details of your game. You will also send us a picture of your game to guarantee that the game is complete at the time of submission. Your abstract will be evaluated by the judges, with your name removed. They will rank their favorite games. The top 6 games with the highest scores will be invited to come to SaltCON 2010. You will personally officiate the playing of your game. This is a great time for publishers to put a face to your name.

Here’s what you really want to know.
Who is eligible to participate? Anyone who doesn’t work for a judging company.
Where is the form? I want to participate: http://www.saltcon.com/html/compete.html
How much does it cost? $5.00 to have each abstract reviewed, and $20 if you are selected to present your game. Yes, you can submit more than one abstract, but only one can go into the finals.
When is the abstract due? December 31st by midnight (U.S. Mountain time)
When is SaltCON 2010? You will present your game on Friday, February 26th.
What do I win? A plaque (screech). I know what you’re thinking. A plaque. Who wants a plaque?

We are assembling a team of professional judges. We can only commit a plaque to you (a very nice one though). The judges can ask you for your game after the competition for further evaluation and offer you a contract. That’s their business. We can’t offer you a better deal than giving you the opportunity to have your game looked at by companies like Fred Distribution, Mayday Games, Out of the Box, Sanity Studios, and Sunriver Games to name a few. Also, you can subsequently submit your games to companies and tell them that it was an ION Award Finalist/Winner.

The website has all the information and I will post more information here as it becomes available.

We look forward to seeing everyone from the past conventions and starting a great new tradition in gaming in Utah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
So, is there going to be regular gaming there? Or is this only for prototypes? I can't tell by the post or the website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday and Sunday is all open gaming and tournaments.

Friday the only thing going on is the game design competition. The competition is open to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds great Mike. I will put you down on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Home" page on the website explains that there will be "plenty of open tables for you to play your favorite games," and the "Register" page lists the three open gaming sessions. However, I can see how it would help if we provided more information on open gaming--I will update the "Attend" page tonight to state that there will be, in fact, 22 hours of open gaming goodness! LOL! A tentative schedule of events will be posted soon (at http://www.saltcon.com/pdfs/Feb-2010-SaltCON-Events.pdf) -- we're getting that together as we speak...look for it later this week.

We'll be updating the schedule regularly as we get more information. You can also e-mail questions about it or other events to events@saltcon.com.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your post, Troy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way cool, Mike! Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Poelzing
United States
Salt Lake City
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hotels at SaltCON
The hotel is available once again. It's within 100 yards of the conference. If anyone spent the night there in July, please weigh in on the facilities. Price $89 for a night. Nice rooms, continental breakfast, yada yada yada.

You can book your room here:
http://conferences.utah.edu/ugh/index.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We stayed in these rooms when we had to bring my boy to Primary Children's when we found out he was diabetic. They're top rate and the staff was great.

I'm really looking forward to trying to come down for the Saturday session, the problem for me is that the group I game with has a tradition of going to Genghis Con in Denver every year and it's 2 weeks prior to SaltCON. I'm not sure how keen the wife would be on me skipping out on Valentine's Day and then bailing out again 2 weeks later...but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! I'm excited already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I definately think you shouldnt skip Valentines day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take your wife to the Con for a valentines present
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

I just asked mine. She said no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

THAT...is a great idea! The bummer thing about that would be that I wouldn't get to play anything but Yahtzee or TTR of some kind. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Poelzing
United States
Salt Lake City
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Daltonovich wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

I just asked mine. She said no.

That's too bad. We're making a lot of changes to make the con more accessible to all people, not just men. There will be opportunity for friends and women to play party games or card games or anything else they would want to play. We'll also have a concierge to help match your partner up with a game she might want to play. Last, we'll have a room that is set up more like a living room with couches and coffee tables if someone wants to play in a more casual environment. Since one of the aims of this time around is to increase attendance by women, I have to ask if there's something we can do that would entice her to come to the convention. This question is for all partners male or female, who usually don't come game conventions.

Thanks,
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoelzing wrote:
Since one of the aims of this time around is to increase attendance by women, I have to ask if there's something we can do that would entice her to come to the convention.

2 words to increase female attendance:

Vampire Movies

Just a thought...shake
Sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Neves
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: increasing access.

The two set times for Saturday seem restrictive, only morning or evening? What about a third option, a "floating session," where I pay for eight hours of play, but I show up when I'm able. That badge could be a different color/use a sticker--whoever signs them in can write their arrival time on the badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dea Draper
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning on coming down from Boise to see all of you again (really enjoyed the last two summers at A Gathering of Strangers)--however, my challenge is getting my husband to attend! (Failed the first 2 times)

I am also a Z-Man rep and asking for their Okay to demo, and then hope to get on the schedule.

A math trade would be nice. I have lots to trade. Want a lot too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Christmas vacation is here this is the next thing I'm looking forward to once the New Year comes along. I'm also much interested in a math trade as I have a few I'd probably add to my trade list for it, Also, I'm the board game contributor at a pop culture blog called kulturblog and would love to write about playtested games, conversations with designers and what not. Should be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are excited to be attending again this year too! It should be a great time by all! We will have at least the finish prototype of Hagoth: Builder of Ships, if not the actual game. It was created by Utah Game Guild Member Mike Drysdale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A little over a month until we get our game on!

Is anyone interested in organizing a no-ship Math trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dea Draper
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gifforddale wrote:
A little over a month until we get our game on!

Is anyone interested in organizing a no-ship Math trade?

I will be very interested in participating (have lots to trade), but since I've only participated in 2, and have read pages of forums discussing formulas and how to change the outcome that I admit leave me totally confused, how about I just put the tablecloth on the trade table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also be a participant in a math trade. I've never organized one before, but if no one else steps up, I might give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have a few to trade, so a math trade again would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Gifford
United States
West Valley City
UT
flag msg tools
www.saltcon.com
badge
www.saltcon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have some games for trade. I contacted the Math Trade Expert from AGOS 2009 and hopefully he will be able to help us again this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gifforddale wrote:
I too have some games for trade. I contacted the Math Trade Expert from AGOS 2009 and hopefully he will be able to help us again this year!
Didn't he move to Michigan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |