Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a Short Game variation listed in the back of my rules. It reads:

Play with 2 Deals at Levels (1) through (3). At level (4) add the number of Level 4 deals with a die roll. A total of 6 or more ends the game.

I understand the first sentence to mean that there will be six deals before Level 4 begins. Then it gets a bit fuzzy. I think the second sentence means to roll the dice and add Level 4 deals equal to the number rolled. Then the game would end either from a dice roll after a level 4 deal or at the last deal in the deck. The third sentence above I can not figure out. What is your opinion? How do you play the short game correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I'm wondering myself.

Perhaps it means to add a die roll to the number of Level 4 deals in play? E.g. If you decide to play with 3 Level 4 deals, a die roll of 3 and above at when either deals #10, #11, or #12 have been made would effectively end the game. This is in contrast to a normal game where a deal #10 made ends the game with a die roll of 1, deal #11 ends the game with a die roll of 1 or 2, etc. So the odds of the game ending sooner will be greater.

This would also mean that the more Level 4 deals you choose to play with, the greater the likelihood of the game ending sooner. E.g. with 4 Level 4 deals, a roll of 2 and above would end the game, whereas with 2 Level 4 deals, a roll of 4 and above would end the game.

I'm still not sure, but this seems like the one that makes the most sense considering the rule "A total of 6 or more ends the game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David, that is an interesting and useful way to play it. In your understanding, how do you decide how many Level 4 deals to play with?

My rules also include a number of different languages. Maybe one of them is clearer. Can anyone who speaks a language besides English check on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think I got it figured out.

German rules, which seems more detalied say

Quote:
Kurzes Spiel: Es werden 2 Deals während den Dividendenstufen 1 bis 3 durchgeführt (2 Mio.$, 3 Mio $, usw.). Ab der Dividendenstufe 4 wird die Anzahl der abgeschlossenen Deals zu einem Würfelwurf hinzuaddiert. Das Spiel endet bei einem Endergebnis von 6 oder höher.

I used Google translate and the output of the German rules amounts to as follows

Quote:
Short Game: There will be carried out 2 deals during the Dividendenstufen 1 to 3 ($ 2 million, $ 3 million, etc.). From the dividend level 4, the number of completed deals is added to a dice roll. The game ends when a final result of 6 or higher.

Notwithstanding the computer's inability to deal with the final points of grammatical functions and such, we can still still deduce the important part from

Quote:
From the dividend level 4, the number of completed deals is added to a dice roll

So, I think if it's your first Level 4 deal, a roll of 5 or 6 (which would total a 6 or 7), ends the game (instead of a roll of 1 in a normal game). Likewise, for a 2nd Level 4 deal, a roll of 4, 5, or 6 ends the game. 3rd Level 4 deal, and a roll of 3, 4, 5, or 6 will end the game. The reason for this is the higher odds of the game ending compared with the normal game. This would also mean that the game will definitely end by Deal #14.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last interpretation is correct, and IMO the rule is doing it in a very clumsy way. Just remove the deal #10 card, so that the first level 4 deal is #11 and ends the game on a roll of 1 or 2. This way the probabilities will be the same as the stated rules (provided that you roll an unbiased die).

I used the short game for shop demos (when I was running the shop), and I had been doing it this way since day one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Kurzes Spiel: Es werden 2 Deals während den Dividendenstufen 1 bis 3 durchgeführt (2 Mio.$, 3 Mio $, usw.). Ab der Dividendenstufe 4 wird die Anzahl der abgeschlossenen Deals zu einem Würfelwurf hinzuaddiert. Das Spiel endet bei einem Endergebnis von 6 oder höher.

I understand German, but I don't get this rule?
What does it mean "Play with 2 Deals at Levels (1) through (3)" ?
Which deals on the board will be played? The deal with the token on it and what other deal? Then you have to get the investor and family cards for both deals at the same time?

And the second sentence means, at level 4 you count all the previous deals and add the number to a dice roll. So, I played level 1 to 3 with 2 deals on each level, that means 3x2=6 and then roll a 1 -> 6+1=7? I even don't have to roll anymore, because the "6" already ends the game.

I don't get the rule at all ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.