5 Posts

Lord of the Rings: Friends & Foes» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Finally! Beating Sauron on 12! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's been a while, but I decided I'd break out good old F&F one more time, Sauron on 12, two hobbits.

Bag end:
Rolled 2 foes for preparations (die roll + discard 2 travelling), and they remained there for half the game. Hid from the nazgul easily, off to Bree.

Bree:
I did Bree very thematically. That is, I barrelled down the whole friendship line (except for Glorfindel), was fighting foes the whole way
(8 foes beaten by the end of the board, 2 more on the foe line... the same two from Bag end, oddly enough), and faced every single event on the map. Used Tom bombadil to take out a couple of nasty foes (blasted corsairs), and grabbed gandalf's letter... which was quickly used for Defiance as the nazgul overran Bree. Fought off the nazgul at weathertop, the ringbearer fought through a knife in the dark, and we fled to the ford in short order. Corruption wasn't too terribly bad... Frodo on 4, Sam on 3, Sauron hadn't moved... but we had played our hands dry fighting foes and events. Sam took the ring from Frodo, as we headed to Rivendell.

Rivendell:
Stocked up, took council, formed a fellowship, and off to Moria (nothing really eventful. We missed Anduril, Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli.)

Moria:
Started off well, with a row of 3 good tiles (used to restock hand and move slowly along the main path. Picked up the book as well.) However, things got ugly when we had to discard 2 wilds for Speak friend and enter, and Sam had to roll for watcher in the water, and got the sauron. We then had to search desperately for the pipe, as we could NOT afford to be Trapped! Thankfully, we managed to get it (but at the expense of Glamdring), and thanks to the ring and Frodo's determination, fled the scenario before further misfortune (And I mean fled. We played two interrupt actions to avoid the event tile drawn.) Things were looking quite nasty, with Frodo and Sam only a couple spaces from sauron at this point.

Lothlorien:
Hooray for Lothlorien. This gave us a needed chance to restock. Unfortunately, we missed both double wilds, the double travel, and Elessar. We both took recovery (Sam for shields, Frodo for healing), and the test of galadriel. With sam still bearing the ring, we headed to Isenguard.

Isenguard:
The last few times we'd been here, we'd been wiped by events, with 3 (unavoidable) event tiles coming by turn 3. This time though, (to quote Caesar), "I came, I saw, I conquered"... but only for the weekend. Anyway, we finished the travelling line ASAP, as we needed pipeweed, fought off the foe line, got the hiding line to 2 spaces from the end, and delayed for event 3, whilst fighting foes, drawing cards, and picking up the friendship line. By the time we exited, we'd gotten every feature card from the board, healed a little, and beaten off the foe line. However, this came at the expense of some of the feature cards we'd been hoarding up to this point.

The Double Skip!:
After sam collected his 2 cards from still being ringbearer, we beat the last two foes in the foe line (which were the same two foes collected at bag end!) and Helm's deep was skipped. Shelob's lair was also easily skipped, with Firebrand taking care of Orcs of the red eye, 3 grey friendship cards taking care of the discard a grey card and discard 2 handshake foes, and Sam taking the die roll for the last one. So, finally to...

Mordor:
This was tense. Very tense. We had plenty of feature cards, but the only travel-related cards was Gandalf the white, Aragorn, and the Ents. So, off we went. First off, we drew 3 activity tiles, and faced 7 foes in the foe line. yuk So, we called on Gandalf for a firestorm, and Frodo discarded his remaining shield to beat the discard all shields foe, bringing the foe line back down to 4. Then, we inched up the mountain, whilst collecting various items from the other tracks... as we lacked the cards to play travel twice a move. When Frodo called on Gandalf the white to cross the first die roll space, he nearly died, but Mithril blocked the fatal blow, leaving him alive for a little longer. Inching forward, both Sam and Frodo benefited from "Sam saves Frodo", but there was general panic when the Lord of the nazgul struck. We were 6 spaces from the end of the track, Sam and Frodo were both a couple spaces away from sauron (sam 2, frodo 1), pipeweed had been played. Sam had only 2 cards... Entwash, and a white hiding, whilst Frodo had Athelas, Ghan buri Ghan, and a couple other hobbit cards. Sam had 7 shields, Frodo had 2... So, I called on Gandalf for guidance, giving Sam 2 more shields (he now had 4), so Sam used the Entwash to take Frodo's shields, put on the ring, called on Gandalf for integrity, and raced up the final few spaces. As tense as the game had been up to this point, the final blow was a given... Sam was 2 spaces away from sauron, ringbearer, and had a card left... so he casually dropped in the ring, and we left the land where the shadows lie.

It was a win by the skin of our teeth... but a win's a win. Maybe now I'll try F&F + Battlefields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report and congratulations! Good luck with F&F and Battlefields. I want to try that sometime soon too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bounds checking, you understand...
Nicholas1024 wrote:

The Double Skip!:
After sam collected his 2 cards from still being ringbearer, we beat the last two foes in the foe line (which were the same two foes collected at bag end!) and Helm's deep was skipped. Shelob's lair was also easily skipped, with Firebrand taking care of Orcs of the red eye, 3 grey friendship cards taking care of the discard a grey card and discard 2 handshake foes, and Sam taking the die roll for the last one.

To skip Shelob's Lair, you need to have not just an empty Foe Row, but also to discard either the Book (from Moria) or Shadowfax (from Helm's Deep). Since you skipped Helm's Deep, you didn't have Shadowfax. So--you still had (and discarded) the Book when you came to Shelob's Lair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did have the book and discarded it to skip SL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
Bree:
I did Bree very thematically. That is, I barrelled down the whole friendship line (except for Glorfindel), was fighting foes the whole way

I don't remember this happening in the book .

Quote:
(8 foes beaten by the end of the board, 2 more on the foe line... the same two from Bag end, oddly enough), and faced every single event on the map. Used Tom bombadil to take out a couple of nasty foes (blasted corsairs), and grabbed gandalf's letter... which was quickly used for Defiance as the nazgul overran Bree. Fought off the nazgul at weathertop, the ringbearer fought through a knife in the dark, and we fled to the ford in short order. Corruption wasn't too terribly bad... Frodo on 4, Sam on 3, Sauron hadn't moved... but we had played our hands dry fighting foes and events.

I keep hearing people saying they slow-play a scenario, but that last bit seems always the reason why not to do it. You'll have to spend a big amount of cards to stave off those Events, when you could just rush the main line and save those left-overs. In Bree, I do prefer to go as far as Fire-brand on the Fellowship, but get out before Event 3, saving Sam's ability/Defiance for later.

Quote:
Maybe now I'll try F&F + Battlefields.

Have you done base + Battlefields yet? And by done, I mean beaten that combo silly devil ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.