Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I count more than 150 figures alone, and I am done with 2. I can't wait to get enough done to try this game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
The Greenskins are the best ones to finish first, as it will allow you to play two of the quests.
I really should get back to this game and create more quests for the figures we have!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to do them in a production line... folding and gluing first then leaving them overnight to dry flat, before cutting out with an X-acto blade. I am really very happy with how it is coming along. I love the look of the game.

As for the game itself, it reminds me of a simplified version of Advanced Heroquest, and that suits me just fine

I was thinking that it would be cool to have a quest that requires you to enter an active volcano facing some assortment of Lava/rock monsters. Maybe after I play a few games, I will try to come up with something for my son and I to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally FINALLY finished my first set of stuff. Took me awhile, but I have all the tiles, heroes (including Dwarfs), chests, and doors, as well as all the monsters from the Knocking Wall and Orcish Raiders quests. I still have about 7 more pages of monsters from the Lich King and Witch scenarios (as well as the new Greenskins pack) to complete, but I can now start giving this game a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I finally FINALLY finished my first set of stuff. Took me awhile, but I have all the tiles, heroes (including Dwarfs), chests, and doors, as well as all the monsters from the Knocking Wall and Orcish Raiders quests. I still have about 7 more pages of monsters from the Lich King and Witch scenarios (as well as the new Greenskins pack) to complete, but I can now start giving this game a try

You are far in front of me... I have everything printed, but only have about 20 figures made. Took some time out to paint and play other games.

My secret Santa target has it on his/her list, I was considering finishing it, and sending it. but It's cheaper to just buy a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have downloaded most of the stuff for this game and have been thinking about trying it out and now that you mention Advanced Heroquest it really has my attention. That was one of my favorite dungeon adventure games for sure so if it has some resemblence to that fantastic game I'll be more inclined to start to working on the project. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has been helpful - she's helped me cut out a lot of the figures.

The tiles were easy - just straight cuts for the most part, and even for the hallways, they were "big turns" with little details.

The doors weren't too bad, either. No minor details to cut out. The chests were pretty easy, too.

Some of the monsters, however, do have more detail. Sure, I could just do a rough job, but I wanted them to look as nice as I could. In some cases, I would just "fill in" the whitespace using a marker, but mostly only for internal areas (like between legs, etc).

My general process has been this, and I've kind of "assembly lined" it, so I can work on one part till I'm tired, then do another part, and I had parts spread out over the whole process so I could switch whenever I felt like it.

- Cut out the figures from a sheet. Usually would do a single sheet in one sitting.
- "Edge" the figures. For this, I would go to the backside of the figures, take a black marker and draw around the outline. I didn't really edge the actual edges, didn't feel like going THAT far. The edging here was to make it so if my cuts weren't exact or my folding, you wouldn't see the "white" from the back of the other half of the fold; I think it looks nice.
- Fold/Glue the figures. I would fold the figures, unfold them, and then apply rubber cement to both halves. Then I would let it dry for a minute, and then fold them together again. I've discovered that when you do this, the rubber cement tends to "stick to itself" very well, and makes a very strong bond. I don't know if it's unbreakable, but it's certainly very strong.
- Laminate. What I would do is take a sheet of Contact paper, and put several of the figures on it. Then I would lay down another sheet, and "laminate" them. Then I would cut out the individual figures by cutting around them, giving them each 1/8 "border", EXCEPT on the bottom; I would cut the bottom right to the base (the "why" will be explained shortly). This gives them a bit extra sturdiness and protection from most usage.
- Build bases. I used the "folding" bases, not the foamcore ones. I would take a sheet of bases, score fold lines as appropriate with an exacto knife, then cut the bases all out. I would then fold them, and unfold them, and apply the gluing as with the figures (making sure not to glue the little tabs that the figure would slide in, of course).
- Attach bases. I would gently peel back the contact paper at the BOTTOM of a figure, to expose the tab that slides into the base. Then I would slide it into the base, and then re-apply the peeled-back contact paper OVER the tabs in the base; this helped secure them. I could probably have used glue, too, but I wanted to be able to remove them from a base if I really really needed to, but the contact paper has enough stick to keep them in place rather well.

I think all told, it took me a few months to do this all, but the first couple months I didn't do much actual work at all; I probably did about 75% of the effort in the past month, in between working on building ships for Wormhole. It really wasn't "hard" work, just tedious. But I'm pretty happy with the results. I may have to take a picture of what I have done, but I'm considering waiting until I finish the Lich King and Witch monsters (and probably the Greenskins).

It really wasn't very "expensive" - I had just bought a new printer that isn't as much of an ink-hog as my last one, and just printed the pieces onto 110 cardstock. Between the folding and laminating, they are pretty firm. Most of the "cost" was just in time

Good luck completing yours I'm hoping it's worth the effort, but it sure seems like it will be so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm needing to work on mine again, as soon as I finsh painting my Dungeon Twister Prison figures, and Space Hulk Marines.

I was thinking about Wormhole too, but haven't made a purchase yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.