Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
*** EXPLORIANA *** Coming Soon 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a good place where I can get cheap, quality custom cards printed for my board game Judgment in the UK?

Originally I had worked out the cost of each print run but there has recently been an impact on my manufacturing costs and I want to see if I can get a cheaper alternative for the 228 cards in my game.

Each game was going to cost me roughly £16-18 to manufacture. Now, each game is going to cost (with current sources) about £22-24 which is a considerable difference.

My total budget is between £300 and £500 (where £400 is ideal) which, as you can tell, is a small print run. This is just to start off the production and sales of my game Judgment - the plan is to buy about 20 copies of my game and use those sales to finance the next print run and so on (as long as my game keeps selling that is).

I have looked into a few commercial printers but their pricing is a bit too expensive - i.e. £35 just for the cards alone!

Anyway, can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing some people will mention artscow.

I can recommend GameCrafter .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Crafter is the source I was talking about and I just had a look at artscow and from there it will cost me roughly £26 just for the cards alone which is simply not as good as TCG prices.

Currently orders from TCG have quite an expensive shipping cost to the UK which really contributes to the cost, and isn't even insured at the moment. They are working to improve their services though and I would really like to support them but, obviously, I need to try and find the most economical way to produce my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$40 for 228 cards!
Is that including shipping or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that isn't including shipping; although the TGC prices that I stated earier (£22-£24 at the moment) include the shipping and everything else that I need for my game - which definately puts TGC above artscow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't used these or checked out their pricing but these come up after a quick search:

http://www.richard-edward.com
http://www.gamesandprint.co.uk/gpcards.htm
http://www.ivorygraphics.co.uk/playing-cards.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
golddmaster wrote:
The Game Crafter is the source I was talking about and I just had a look at artscow and from there it will cost me roughly £26 just for the cards alone which is simply not as good as TCG prices.

Currently orders from TCG have quite an expensive shipping cost to the UK which really contributes to the cost, and isn't even insured at the moment. They are working to improve their services though and I would really like to support them but, obviously, I need to try and find the most economical way to produce my games.

With artscow, all you need to do is to wait for one of their discount coupons to appear, and you will be able to beat those prices quite easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
firewizard wrote:
Haven't used these or checked out their pricing but these come up after a quick search:

http://www.richard-edward.com
http://www.gamesandprint.co.uk/gpcards.htm
http://www.ivorygraphics.co.uk/playing-cards.asp

Looks like 2 with no prices on their website (a good sign that they are not geared up for small volumes) and one whose prices make artscow at full price with shipping look cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
With artscow, all you need to do is to wait for one of their discount coupons to appear, and you will be able to beat those prices quite easily.

When do these usually 'appear', what sort of discounts do they usually have and how much discount do they usually give?

Thanks for the info; I'll be sure to look a bit more into this although I am still open for suggestions as I (obviously) want to get the best deal possible for Chaos Publishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elsie Rocketship
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
As you slide down The Bannister Of Life, let's hope the splinters are facing the right direction
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get the discount at Artscow, the best bet would be to subscribe to this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/395364/page/4, as it usually has people updating what is and isn't available with the discount codes. There is a discount at the moment, but I think it's only good for five decks of cards at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it does seem that their offers are quite good but I'm just not too sure about the conditions involved. Do they usually limit how many cards you buy? Do they only let you buy in sets of 54 designs? What other conditions do they usually set? Other than that, I guess it's just a matter of ordering at the right time.

Then again, I'm not sure whether TGC will be a better deal or not. Thinking about it again, each playset of cards (228 card per game) would cost £11.40 +postage to order from TGC (no strings attached) while each playset of cards would cost £13.68 +postage to order from artscow (with their best deal in mind and conditions set - not to mention the hassle of file editing).

It really does seem that TGC's international shipping costs are really letting me down. I guess that if they are able to sort those prices out for when I do make my order, TGC is probably the best option. On the other hand, if that doesn't work out I'll either go for artscow (depending on their offer) or another printing service.

At the moment, if I were to use TGC, costs per game would be about:
- £15 for each set of game parts.
- £1 for packaging.
- £11 for shipping, vat and tax.

This comes to roughly £27 to manfacture each copy of my game - which is not very economical, is it? £16 to manufacture my game is quite fair but an additional £11 just to get it to me is just out of order.

Artscow prices would be more like this at offer (more guessing involved this time):
- £18 for each set of game parts (including shipping and vat).
- £1 for packaging.

Wow...maybe artscow is what I should use...

Still searching for options though...please help...cry

I'm sure I can go cheaper!

P.S. Sorry about babbling on, I just had to sort some things out in my head and the best way to do that was to write things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't get why you have to pay shipping for each game individually?
Can't you ship them together and save a ton of shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I costed the shipping together then divided by the number of games in question (e.g. 16) and got that answer. So, for example, if I ordered 16 copies of my game using TGC, it would cost about £432 (16 x 27). That is the honest truth and I am not calculating ordering each game individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost sure I could ship games a lot cheaper than what they are quoting you.

Can you get a quote to a US address?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
have you talked with Jeff at www.superiorpod.com?

you might be able to talk him into filling out the customs forms, they aren't that complex.

They cards they use are far superior to artscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a quick look at superiorpod and the prices are much better! (£9 for each set of cards, reasonable shipping, good quality and high renowned) I actually scrolled over the site a while ago after reading some of the posts on bgg. Thanks for reminding me about the site and I'll be sure to get a quote. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, I was just wondering which place turned out to be the cheapest in the end?
I'm also in the UK and want to print my own cards :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Superior POD is probably the best option and I will be ordering from them some time in the new year - I'll let everyone know how it goes. :D

P.S. The first game I'll be releasing next year (hopefully) is Brave the Elements and I am likely to be using Superior POD to get the cards printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.