Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering picking up Railroad Tycoon for a while, and now, of course, switched to RotW. The concern is, all of my gaming is 2 and sometimes 3 player, and I've seen the prevailing opinion that, while playable and "okay" with small numbers, the game shines with more. I'd read that the Europe map helps, but I didn't want to buy two games to get, in essence, one. So I'm wondering if anyone who's gotten to play the Mexico map 2-player has noticed whether it's significantly better than the US map? Also, is the new board as easy to adapt to variants seen in the RRT forum (like removing one of the three boards), now that it's all one piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not read anything on an RRT forum so I can't comment there. Therefore I'm not sure what removing one of the boards means. The Eastern US board is all one piece and huge. If you mean that you could potentially cover up half of it (or more)then that would probably work. But a big difference bewtween the two maps is the space between cities. There can be large chunks of open space on the US map. I played Mexico with two players and really enjoyed it. Three players is probably the sweet spot for this, it can play up to four but I think with so few colored cities that it would get too tight.
As for Europe or England and Wales, I haven't played them but have heasrd that Europe is the better map for smaller numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben James
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board seems to fold both ways, so it would not be too difficult to folder either the top or bottom section underneath. I suppose you could also cover one of the sides of the map even they won't fold completely under.

I have the pieces sorted and ready for my first play, which will probably be a 2-player Mexico match without Operation/Baron cards. I'll report back here as soon as I get a play in.

On examining the components, a small set of cards to replace some of the map-specific Opertion/Baron cards from the base game for use with the Mexico map would have been nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.