Popular Tags: [View All]
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long is a new gamer considered a new gamer ? Is there a generally accepted, unwritten law/rule about it? What is the border line between a new gamer and a gamer: how long has he been playing boardgames , how many different boardgames has he played , etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How long is a new considered new?
Until there is someone newer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not a very long time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first played Settlers of Catan maybe four and a half years ago.
I'm still a new gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Leven
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I would same a gamer is new relative to the game. For example, someone could play several hundred games of Ticket to Ride and be quite excellent at that but may never have played too many other games and may be considered a fairly green gamer. However, someone who has played a ton of different games but never more than a game or two of any given game, they would hardly be an expert because they lack any real seasoning. Now, I have only been playing games myself for about a year but I have been playing them in vast quantities. I probably have played several hundred games of all types in the last year. Also, I have been playing video games for years, some of which were similar to some of the board games I have been playing. The only genre I have not really played is war games. So I would argue that it is not the duration of time either. I'd say that it is a combination of types/different mechanics with quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on who you play with. After 3 years, 1,000 games logged, and over 300 games rated, I think that I'm easing out of being a new gamer. However when playing anything 18xx based, I'm still a new gamer. This is in comparison to the people that I play with. The first year, I was beyond a new gamer, I was just fresh meat to be toyed with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks geeks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't fully agree with prior posts.

I don't think that it is only about how many different games you played and how often. I do think it's also about how you (inter-) act with other players, how you be able to be part of a great gaming experience besides winning or loosing.

3b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
it's also about how you (inter-) act with other players, how you be able to be part of a great gaming experience besides winning or loosing.

This is an interesting point as well, but then could you expand on it? As getting older as a gamer, how do you think the gaming experience is changing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
This is an interesting point as well, but then could you expand on it? As getting older as a gamer, how do you think the gaming experience is changing?

It's not only about his own experience. For an example, an "experienced" player is able to select the right game for the right group. He's able to "control" the game in it's flow to make it a good experience for everybody.

It might even be something you can't learn from playing games, something you just have in you. No matter if you played a thousand games or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
bvongunten wrote:
an "experienced" player is able to select the right game for the right group. He's able to "control" the game in it's flow to make it a good experience for everybody.

It might even be something you can't learn from playing games, something you just have in you. No matter if you played a thousand games or not.

This is difficult- having a good sense of the game that will appeal to some diverse group that might include gamers and less-so's.

Also all the dysfunctions of social and family life manifest in games the same as anywhere else. (Ironically this can manifest in cooperative games, even worse.)

So, it also takes a good gamer/host to frame/outline the game experience within some social context, or some rules, etc, that everyone is comfortable within and can just play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Until you've played 42 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard von Gunten
Switzerland
Täuffelen
Bern
flag msg tools
3B RULEZ
badge
3B RULEZ
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

ROFL (very much)

3b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

Or one game of 42.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
How long is a new gamer considered a new gamer ? Is there a generally accepted, unwritten law/rule about it? What is the border line between a new gamer and a gamer: how long has he been playing boardgames , how many different boardgames has he played , etc.?

Well, that reminds me of a story I once heard.

A longtime worker had been passed over for promotion, and he went to his boss to complain. "I have twenty years' experience with this company!" he said. His boss replied, "No, you've had one year's experience twenty times."

I'm a little ashamed to say it, but that's how I am when it comes to games. I've loved games all my life (and I'm 54 now), but I'd guess most BGGeeks play games a lot more than I do and have accumulated more experience.

For example, I started wargaming in 1968. But I can't say I have forty-one years' experience as a wargamer. More like one year's experience forty-one times.

I learned to play chess when I was twelve, but forty-two years later I'm still pretty much a novice.

I'm too old to be considered "new," but I'm not experienced enough at any game to be called an "old hand" at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When you can take this meeple from my hand, you are ready to leave the Shoalin Temple............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that some of the earlier posts are not very realistic. If you have played hundreds of games, or if you have played a few games hundreds of times, you are NOT a new gamer, and you haven't been for quite a while.

That is not to say that you are an expert yet! There is quite a bit of experience to be gained AFTER you move beyond new, but BEFORE you become expert. A new player for a particular game is someone who has never played before, or has played so seldom that they are unfamiliar with even the basic game rules, and need to be reminded of these as the game goes on. A new gamer overall is someone who is not familiar with basic gaming principles common to many games. Few of the people who visit this site should be considered new gamers!

The description of a player who can accurately select an appropriate game for a given group of people, control the flow of the game would be an expert, long past "new." Few people aquire this level of expertise, for very many games.

Most of us are somewhere in between. If you play hundreds of different games, but only play each a few times, you have the opportunity to learn a great deal by noticing the similarities and differences between how the games are designed, and how this influences game strategy and the way players interact. If you play a game hundreds (or thousands) of times, you can learn the nuances of the game. Both are long past being a new gamer, and are on the way to becoming an expert. Of course you can play many games, and even play them repeatedly, without learning much, in which case you won't be on the way to expertise; and you'll just be someone who is no longer a new gamer.

Note that I've not said anything about winning. If you play a hundreds or thousands of games, but rarely seem to win, it might be because you aren't learning much. But instead it might be because you are learning a lot! You won't often win while testing strategic possibilities, rather than playing the same old standard strategies. Or it could be that you are lucky enough to be playing against skilled opponents. Or it could be that you just aren't being realistic; after all, in an evenly matched five player game, each player wins only about 20% of the time!

Edit: Look a couple posts earlier! While I was rambling on, Patrick posted a story that hints at much of the same idea, but is more colorful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"When is a new gamer not a new gamer?" When he/she no longer thinks of him/herself as a new gamer.

Of course, I could be wrong.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You stop being new when you learn a game and then confidently think of several other games that it reminds you of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.