Popular Tags: [View All]
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, it's tough to come up with new ideas for games that haven't been thought off or published before. I designed an alternative history WWII based of the premise in H.G. Wells 'The Land ironclads'. This is a tactical game based on small striking forces for 'land Dreadnoughts' and their infantry support - seems to work well. Once I had a taste of designing, lightning struck again! I would like to know what people think of a game based on the 1934 UK to Australia air race. This will be a very simple game that can have up to 20 players (one for each 'plane) and is a CDG of sorts. So far, I have the counters and cards and I'm just looking at doing the maps - the hardest part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing wrong with another game with the same theme, battle depicted, etc., if there is something new in the design, interpretation, or scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse the re-post but feel it sums up my take just fine:

It's the "Simpsons-Did-It" issue - There are so many designers/companies/games/mechanics out there that you would be truly hard-pressed to design anything truly original anymore.

But a game is not measured by a single factor but by the sum of it's parts - Changing one detail along the design stage could radically alter the feel and playing style of a game into something different enough from existing models.

My advice; keep at it. Even if you only design the game to get a feel for the entire process and to work out your own style it is worth doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
your ideas sound great, I come up with ideas for mechanics all the time and then wonder if people have used or done this before, I am spending time doing research on games to see if there is anything like I have designed out there there already?
I am play testing a game of mine right now, and I am really happy with the whole process of making the game, even making the prototype was a lot of fun for me, a new hobby in my old hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul de Kievit
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been expanding a few ideas myself and there are periods of self doubt about things being too much like something else. You can't really know everything that is out there and I figure a lot of what you do is going to be derivative as you are starting out and finding your own way in game design.

The air race sounds like a great starting idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.