Fury of Dracula (second edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Dracula and The Sea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Bartula
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My friends and I were playing and got a Newspaper Report even on Round Two, so we had Dracula pegged immediately. However, we were never able to catch him once he hit the sea. He went English Channel, Atlantic, then Med. We tagged him once since one Hunter had Excellent Weather and got him in Marseilles(?). but the rest of the hunters were on the northern side of the map by the time we realized he'd gone so far.

So, are we missing something? Given the sheer number of ports available in some places like the Med., it seemed we could never catch him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The "sheer number of ports available" from the Mediterranean Sea would be four, and one of those only leads to the Tyrrhenian Sea. A lot of cities have more travel options for Dracula than that.

The trick with sea chases is to count how many sea areas Dracula uses, and from that work out where he could be. For example, in the case of your game, you said Dracula went to the English Channel first. That means he started from either London or Plymouth, each of which only borders on the English Channel. You knew where he was just before he went to sea, so you know his first sea zone is the English Channel.

His second sea zone is then either the Atlantic Ocean or the North Sea. That makes his third sea zone one of the Bay of Biscay, Irish Sea, North Sea, Atlantic Ocean or Mediterranean Sea.

Now, that might seem like a lot of places he could be, but now look at the ports where he can disembark. Not one of them is in eastern Europe. He is still restricted to the west, on the coast. And that's a worst-case scenario.

Look at what happens when Dracula plays a fourth sea zone... He can go to the Tyrrhenian Sea, Mediterranean Sea or Bay of Biscay, but he can't play the fourth from the North Sea or the Irish Sea, which means he isn't anywhere near these areas when he played the fourth sea zone. His options have actually become narrowed. If he plays a fifth sea zone, you know he's in the Tyrrhenian Sea or the Ionian Sea, so he will disembark in Eastern Europe.

Okay, so after three sea moves and disembarking, Dracula can be in port in the west. That's a lot of places, but certainly it's a narrower field than you had at the start of the game. For the early game, that's not too bad a position.

And by the later game, you should have saved up a few cards to help you. Imagine if Dracula went to sea in the English Channel, and you knew that. Drop a Stormy Seas on the Atlantic Ocean, and now he has very few options. (I know it's tempting to force him to port by playing Stormy Seas on the sea area where he is, but sometimes you are better off making him move under his own steam than giving him the extra move to land. It gives you time to get your hunters in position.)

I'd say that having the hunters converge on the north was the mistake that cost you that game. You need to be aware of how far Dracula can go that way, and spread out enough to be able to pick up his trail from any place he lands, perhaps not straight away, but in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
For example, in the case of your game, you said Dracula went to the English Channel first. That means he started from either London or Plymouth, each of which only borders on the English Channel. You knew where he was just before he went to sea, so you know his first sea zone is the English Channel.

Le Havre is so sad cry .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bartula
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My apologies, I badly worded the sheer number of ports in the areas leading to the Med. from where Dracula started. It turns out that he faked us out by using the Hide(?) card and feinted us on what sea he traveled, so it seemed he went one way, but had gone another. He's an experienced board game player and played very well.

One other problem was we stopped drawing since we didn't want to help him out with Events and we had loaded up on the Items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buatha wrote:
My apologies, I badly worded the sheer number of ports in the areas leading to the Med. from where Dracula started. It turns out that he faked us out by using the Hide(?) card and feinted us on what sea he traveled, so it seemed he went one way, but had gone another. He's an experienced board game player and played very well.

One other problem was we stopped drawing since we didn't want to help him out with Events and we had loaded up on the Items.

Hide (and Double Back) are powers. Dracula can never use a power when he starts at sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

We also just played a game and it went about this (maybe this should go into the session parts of the forum - but I rather wanted some strategical advise from the FoD masterminds).

Dracula: 2nd game
Me: Dr. Edwards + Mina
The other two hunters were played by a first time.

General strategies used for the hunters:
- Mina used her equipement to give stuff during the game to van helsing, dr. edwards and Sir g(?).
- Van Helsing + Sir G attacked in the beginnung

In the first turns we could pin dracula in Munchen, followed him until van Helsing took a beating near madrid (vampires 1 -> 3). Dracula spawned in his castle after he escaped to castle dracula with the "disappear" card - increasing his health from 9 -> 11 (we ruled that it was okay to spawn directly in the castle, though we were not sure if it counts as a "city" or not).
The hunters then used their special powers to quickly move from western europe near the castle, to attack him. After a night attack and a nicely played card on another hunter (A hunter who moved 4 seafields to konstanz was moved back 3 sea tiles onto the lone island). Dracula had 4 vampires by now and went onto the seas.

Here a discussion started that dracula could simply win the game with 8 blood points remianing by moving thorugh the whole sea fields, leaving at one of the many ports making a win for the hunters almost impossible as they had only 1 special - action point left..

The new player was quite frustrated at this point.

In the end Dracula left after the second seafield and we took a "guess" moving our best equipped hunter to one port (finding dracular). In a spectacular fight dr. edwards shot holy bullets twice on dracula, burned his face with holy water before he impaled him finally for his ultimate demise.

Question basically is - what do you think of the "dracula stays on the sea as long as possible as soon after he has killed one hunter" tactics? It seems that the game is almost decided by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have found an answer myself - When on sea dracula does not move forward the "day-night" cylce, we have missed that in the rules!
So I hope you have liked the session report. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acenoid wrote:
I think I have found an answer myself - When on sea dracula does not move forward the "day-night" cylce, we have missed that in the rules!
So I hope you have liked the session report. :)

It's only since reading these threads that I realise we've been making the same mistake. Makes quite a big difference to the game, actually. Hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These huge rules "oopses" are why I always try to read one of the "reviews" of the game where they regurgitate the rulebook. They often say things in a different way, that helps clear out these rule overlooks that lurk in the shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found a quick reference, which helps a lot. The rules are (sorry) a bit complicated so it's easy even if you read the whole thing to miss something.

What happened in the 1st game was that we missed this little paragraph. It would be easy to have a small reminder on the sea cards for example (no day + night cylce) for example to remember these exeptions.

Anyway its a great game :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if time would advance, with a 5 card trail Dracula can't immediately continue by sea, even with a shortened 3 card trail Dracula would have to use at least some moves and probably his powers while waiting for his escape route to fall out of the trail.

That is, unless he'd have the right power cards in hand, but that's always a risk for the hunters no matter what they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to catch him if he embarks at one of the many possible ports and leaving in a turn or two again. I will try out some routes ;)

At least in our game the difficulty would increase a lot, by this maneveur.

Especially if Dracula could enter port during the nights only which is an easy escape for him....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.