Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
What crayon rails would be good as a first crayon rail game. I was originally set against the crayon rails because I just assumed they would be very complex but after watching a vassal review on mars rails. it seemed very approachable and that it was worth trying one of the series. One thing that really caught my attention was his statment of how it seems best suited for 2-3 players which is my general group size.

As I said. What would be a good first crayon rail game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Nippon rails would be a good one for your group size, as it only plays up to 4. It is small but can play in less then 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nippon Rails does have a tiny map, but that can also make it unforgiving. Also, it depends on how comfortable your gaming buddies are with the geography. Finding cities on the Nippon map can sometimes be a challenge.

If you think that's an issue, you might want to look at Empire Builder/North American Rails. Iron Dragon may be even easier mapwise (since it's fantasy, everything's in alphabetical groups -- all the Ps in one area, the Bs in another, etc.) However, Iron Dragon has some extra wrinkles the others don't. I'd recommened it as an excellent second crayon game, but not first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should pick the game whose geography is most familiar to you. When you're learning the system, it helps if you know that (for example) Steel comes from Pittsburgh and Birmingham AL, or that Oranges come from Valencia and Sevilla. This minimizes the amount of time you have to spend staring at the board looking for things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely, about picking the map where you know the geography best. Even knowing the mechanics, learning a new map can increase the difficulty for the first few plays. To cut time, you could always play a fast-trains variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.