Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played my first game using the free download quick-start rules. Very simple, but a nice intro to the game. Played this one solo.

I played the Green Scenario found in the QSR. It pits an Enforcer and a Hunchback.

1st Turn: The Hunchback started in the trees and having lost the initiative went first, basically moving and rotating one hex so as to improve his position for firing from the trees.
The Enforcer ran 6 hexes straight for the Hunchback in the trees. Anxious to try out the combat rules! (Lesson learned - not a good idea to run straight on into the fire lane of a mech, especially one with an Autocannon 20 loaded and ready to go.

Sure enough as the Enforcer was taking this jog in the park, the Hunchback pilot was taking careful aim with the Autocannon and 2 medium lasers. FIRE! Shot hits! Left leg destroyed (20 damage, 20 bubbles on the left leg.) To add insult to injury, the two mediums hit the center torso on rolls of 2 & 7.
The Enforcer hit with his Autocannon as well, to the center torso, 10 points of damage!

Turn 2: Rolled for initiative, don't remember who won it. Basically, Hunchback moves out of Arc of fire and out of LOS into the forest as he positions himself to go to the back of the Enforcer to finish him off.
The Enforcer pilot during this turn is radioing back home sending his final words...and cursing the fact that this isn't a more advanced rule set allowing for Torso Twist.

Turn 3: More movement and then a shot from the devastating Autocannon. Hit! To the right torso...gone! and 2 more points to the center torso. Medium lasers his left arm and, you guessed it, center torso.
Enforcer pilot is now going into that final checklist before he checks out for good.

Turn 4: Moves to adjacent hex, radios the Enforcer pilot and gives him the obligatory, "I'll see you in Hell!" Fires the Autocannon and...Hit! Right arm destroyed, 6 remaining points goes to center torso and Enforcer is gone. As a side note, the 2 medium lasers hit hitting the left arm and center torso, again.

Lessons learned: don't rush a position like that. Pay attention to the weapon ranges. The Enforcer has a short range of five. I should've kept him further off and made the Hunchback's odds less in his favor. In fact, now that I look at the stats. That is exactly what to do. (I guess this is why they call it the Green Scenario!)

First thoughts on the game. I'm quite concerned with the record keeping of the game. Not so much the damage and such on the record sheets, but the in-turn record keeping. Who moved, how they moved, how far they moved, who they're shooting at, with what, what hits, how much damage, where...I've read over at the CBT boards about the various ways to track this, but it still seems like a bit much. We'll see.

What is cool about this is that I can try it out at this very simple level w/o much invested. I applaud the generous sharing of information to see if there is an interest. Also, because the Intro Box set is nowhere to be found, this satisfies the appetite a bit til that 25th anniv box set comes out in the next 6-12 months. (Hopefully sooner.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
mojayhawk wrote:
First thoughts on the game. I'm quite concerned with the record keeping of the game. Not so much the damage and such on the record sheets, but the in-turn record keeping. Who moved, how they moved, how far they moved, who they're shooting at, with what, what hits, how much damage, where...I've read over at the CBT boards about the various ways to track this, but it still seems like a bit much. We'll see.

Indeed.

The games I have been playing have been made a lot simpler by using movement tracking dice - small d6s of different colours to track the modifier to hit as well as the movement type. For example, white for walked, blue for ran and red for jumped.

(I've bought a couple of the mixed-colour Games Workshop Dice Cubes to get the dice I use).

So, if my Wolfhound walks four hexes, I place a white die turned to "1" next to it; indicating a +1 to hit it, and a +1 to its attacks. If an Assassin jumps 7, then a red die on "4"; so +4 to hit, +3 to its attacks.

The other side of it - remembering who has attacked who - is trickier, especially in larger combats. I've marked the bases of all my Mechs with letter codes, and I keep an A4 pad that I then use to keep track of each Mech's attacks. So, "Wolfhound: LL-A, ML-B,B,B" would indicate my Wolfhound attacking mech A with the Large Laser and mech B with three Medium Lasers.

Mind you, I'm moving more towards keeping track of this on the actual mech sheets, writing the targets there each round next to the weapons along with the "to hit" numbers then erasing them at the end of each round.

That said, even though I love BattleTech dearly and have been buying a lot of the supplements in the last couple of years, the game is somewhat clunky.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never fear: things click after a few battles. Without even trying you'll have the charts memorized, and then things really start to move.

Oh, and don't forget about the possible CT critical (we do floating) on a location roll of 2. Maybe the intro rules don't cover that, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
Never fear: things click after a few battles. Without even trying you'll have the charts memorized, and then things really start to move.

Oh, and don't forget about the possible CT critical (we do floating) on a location roll of 2. Maybe the intro rules don't cover that, though.

The Intro rules do, the Quick Start rules don't!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clunky is a good word for it. But I'll get more into it before I mKe any judgements. With the different levels of rules it is very easy to slowly introduce a new complexity in each game.

Thanks for the tips on speeding up play.

One other thing that I hope I can find in this. I'm used to and really enjoy Combat Commander, Memoir, & Conflict of Heroes. So I'm very used to objective based gaming and scenario design. For training purposes the fight to the death will be fine, but lo g term I'm going to want objectives, victory points, etc. Will I find slot of sources for this? Look at WW II for example and a game lime ASL. That game covers just a 10 yr period on one planet and there are at least 450+. objective based scenarios available. The world of BT involves a war 100 years (?) long on 100s of planets, thereb could be plenty of material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojayhawk wrote:
Clunky is a good word for it. But I'll get more into it before I mKe any judgements. With the different levels of rules it is very easy to slowly introduce a new complexity in each game.

Thanks for the tips on speeding up play.

One other thing that I hope I can find in this. I'm used to and really enjoy Combat Commander, Memoir, & Conflict of Heroes. So I'm very used to objective based gaming and scenario design. For training purposes the fight to the death will be fine, but lo g term I'm going to want objectives, victory points, etc. Will I find slot of sources for this? Look at WW II for example and a game lime ASL. That game covers just a 10 yr period on one planet and there are at least 450+. objective based scenarios available. The world of BT involves a war 100 years (?) long on 100s of planets, thereb could be plenty of material.

Yep, those are three good games. (and ASL is good too). Play them all - and love them.

I strongly advise you pick up Classic Battletech Starterbook: Sword and Dragon, which includes nine generic scenarios and seven touchpoint scenarios that link together into a greater campaign. It's playable with just the Introductory Boxed Set rules (and given they're all available online, you shouldn't have problems there even if you can't find a boxed set at present). I've been running a campaign of that for the last year or so - you can find the session reports here on the Geek.

If you cross to the full game, the current plotline - the Jihad - has a series of books that are mostly describing what is going on in the universe, but also each give 10 scenarios (in a form similar to the Starterbook format).

There are also PDF scenarios available for the Jihad era.

Older BattleTech books also provided scenarios; some of these are still available in PDF. The game has remained moderately stable so most should still be playable, although you would need to find the Mech stats.

Classic Battletech: Total Warfare, the main rulebook for the full game, has a number of scenario design rules in it.

But start with Sword & Dragon. It's really good value, and is designed for people like you (and me), just starting playing BattleTech. (There are a couple of rules issues with it, but not enough for me not to recommend it - they're easily fixed).

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Todd

Only a few words to your introduction to classic Battletech.

Hunchback vs. Enforcer is an excellent match-up and will provide you with many more good games. However know your enemy. The Hunchback is a close-assault monster, whereas the Enforcer excels at medium Ranger (and is not ammo-dependent). Therefore stay away from the Hunchback with your Enforcer (using your mobility) and make good use of your large laser at 10+ hexes. It is up to the Hunchback to run towards you...

Best regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.