Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have in mind, that the game pieces are limited, it's stated somewhere in the rules.

What happens to potions, once they are used? Are they gone from the game or "magically" reappear in the city for new purchase?
I couldn't find any comment in the basic game rules.
Little help please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Corrie
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that they return to the supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't even explicitly say that you lose a potion after drinking it, but I'd be surprised to meet someone that didn't return them to the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The potions bottles are recycled by little brown gnomes which happily and secretly carry used potion bottles back to the temples for washing and refilling, where they can be purchased again by the intrepid heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one, but I couldn't find a rule pertaining to gnomes, be them brown or otherwise, temples, washing of bottles and refilling.

Up to now, every quest was a near walk through for the heros. OK, the last monster gave a little headache, but not much and the heroes where never in danger of losing a game, plenty of conquest tokens available.
The usual tactic was to drink potions, pool the available gold and have someone buy the now plentiful available healing potions back from the "Brown Gnomes inc. Refill-o-matic" vending post. So the heros start every section of the dungeon with full or near full health, get their treasures and slay every and all monsters.

Should the potions be limited, I think it would be far more interesting and the OL would even stand a decent chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you might be missing the "one potion per hero per turn" rule which makes a huge difference. I would suggest downloading the FAQ from FFG website which has quite a few errata and clarifications. Without this rule the potions are a bit overpowered. Though it won't stop the heroes from healing up, it will give the overlord more time to ready the next wave of nasties.

Also the first two scenarios in Descent are a walkover. It starts getting interesting from 3 onwards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the one potion rule wasn't overlooked,
Cards and threat tokens for the OL never were an issue, but dammaging the heroes in a significant way was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes cannot share/pool gold in Vanilla Descent only in RtL advanced campaign does the party have a party pool.

Though if each hero can only drink one potion per turn, and each healing potion only heals 3 wounds, the overlord will be able to fill up the dungeon with monster spawns and power cards. Or drop tons of traps on the heroes...

Other than that I dunno what's missing/wrong. Sounds like some overlord Treachery cards might be required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avianfoo is correct that the heroes cannot trade coins, but they can trade items like potions, and potions are cheap, so I doubt that will make a huge difference in this particular case.

My suspicion is that you just need to play a harder quest, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Town Items that are discarded (dropping them in the dungeon, Crushing Blow) are returned to the deck (i.e., town supply) - Confirmed by KW at GenCon09. I don't think potions would be any different, you can buy those in town too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just own the basic game, no expansions.
Thanks for the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As was posted above,the base game gets tougher from Quest 4 onward.We also play that the used potions go back in the supply.

bikerboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Loviska

Zeeland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can make a big difference though, because one hero might not want to waste all of his coins to feed all of the other heroes, and also there's also pretty limited bag space. Maybe one or two potions per hero, but I don't think that 3 health ever really saved my hero from eminent doom, the overlord usually can negate a potion in one turn if s/he really wanted to. I'm pretty new to the game so maybe I'm underestimating health potions a little bit, but it takes awhile to refill to max health, and the overlord usually has 6 new monsters out if you do in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.