Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Dimitroff
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Right now I am feeling very: turbed, pirited, heveled, combobulated, and not tinguished, so don't you dare "dis" me!
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: I also posted this on the Carcassonne: Cult, Siege and Creativity forum.

Equipment: Carcassonne, Carcassonne: Cult, Siege and Creativity, and Start Player

Rules:
1) Shuffle the two blank tiles that come with Cult, Seige, and Creativity into mix with the other Carcassonne tiles.

2) When the first blank, white tile is drawn, the player must place the Abominable Snowman on one feature in the game: in any city, on a road, in a cloister, on a farm, in a tower, on a volcano, with the Count of Carcassonne, etc. In figure 1 below, the Abominable Snowman has been placed in a city. A white-out has begun!

Figure 1

3) When a white-out occurs, that feature is disabled from scoring or being used until the white-out end. So if the abominable Snowman is placed in/on:
3a) a city - no city can be scored until the white-out ends.
3b) a road - no road can be scored until the white-out ends.
3c) a farm - no barn can be scored until the white-out ends.
3d) a cloister - no cloister can be scored until the white-end ends.
3e) a shrine - no shrine can be soored until the white-out ends.

4) Non-scoring features can be frozen:
4a) a volcano - the dragon can still fly
4b) a tower - towers can continue to capture meeples
4c) Of course, all of these actions are dependent upon which expansions are being used in conjunction with this version.
4d) In general, there is a freeze on one particular feature of the game.
4e) Players may wish to determine in-house rules in advance.

4) Once the Abominable Snowman has been placed, the player who placed it picks a second tile and continues to play Carcassonne normally.

5) Players may play meeples as in regular Carcassonne, even on features that have been frozen. For example, in figure 2 below, green has placed a meeple in the same city as the Abominable Snowman.

Figure 2

6) When the second blank, white tile is selected, the white-out ends. The Abominable Snowman is removed and the frozen features are now rectified. Starting with the player who picked the second blank, white tile, each player, in turn, scoring the frozen completed cities, or completed roads, etc.

7) The player who picked the second blank, white tile, now picks a second tile, and continues to play Carcassonne as normal.

8) In the rare case that the second blank, white tile is the last tile picked, score completed frozen features as in step 6 above, and then have a final scoring round, as normal, scoring farms, uncompleted cities, roads, cloisters, and shrines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dimitroff wrote:

6) When the second blank, white tile is selected, the white-out ends. The Abominable Snowman is removed and the frozen features are now rectified. Starting with the player who picked the second blank, white tile, each player, in turn, scoring the frozen completed cities, or completed roads, etc.

Would it not be better, on the 2nd blank tile and the end of the whiteout that any features frozen and completed during the whiteout would not be scored at all?

Say a city selected to house the yeti, so no cities are scored until the end of the whiteout and an opponent has several meeples in cities, while you don't, these would take up their meeple without any gain, would it be better for them to complete the feature and not score or wait and hope the whiteout ends soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dimitroff
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Right now I am feeling very: turbed, pirited, heveled, combobulated, and not tinguished, so don't you dare "dis" me!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I politely disagree.

Remember that a meeple on a frozen region is not scored, possibly for a long time. One of the features of the Carcassonne game mechanics is that a meeple is placed, scored, removed, then placed, scored, removed, and so on.
A meeple, in general, is re-used a lot during a game.

So my variant would disrupt the basic game mechanic. I think that disruption alone would cause enough harm without adding further harm by having no scoring at all.

At the same time, your idea is not a bad idea. It is a variant of my variant. Play test it with your gaming group and let us know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzie Dsouza
msg tools
Earlier known as the abominable snowman, and now as Yeti, is reported to be a giant snowman, similar to American claims of Bigfoot. He is believed to be abnormally large, leaving behind strange signs like footprints and rare pictures, but his existence is yet skeptical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.