Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Q-7 Penhurst says: Automatically attacks a submarine attempting to launch a torpedo attack.

Q-21 card says Automatically attacks a submarine attempting to launch a torpedo attack against a SAILING vessel.

Question: Does the Q-21 Privet only prevent sub attack against ships marked with the 'sail' icon, or can it prevent any sub torpedo attack? I am learning to read the cards carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Q-19 Privet card
That would seem to be the intent of the card. I'd have to look at my deck and see what makes sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Q-21 card
The Rules 3.3.28 doesn't show the text for each card just the general intent of the card and explains how combat is resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q-7 Penhurst and Q-19 Privet are both "generic" Q-ships, covered under the card description you cite (3.3.28). The Q-21 Prize is a Sail Q-Ship, and the card can only be played to defend a merchant sailing ship (as described on the card). It does not carry depth charges. This card is explained at 3.3.34.

The Q-Ships were armed decoys meant to lure subs to the surface and then attack them. One of the optional rules (6.11) prevents you from playing most Q-ships and AMCs to defend the merchant sailing ships because they have the wrong silhouette -- you wouldn't confuse the Privet or the Penhurst for a sailing vessel. With this rule in place, only the Prize can be played to defend merchant sailing ships.

And yes, you have to read the cards carefully .

My personal rules for the game:
1) Germans don't attack Germans (drilled into my brain by Bryan Collars)
2) Read the card. Again.
3) Roll high. And failing that, get your opponent to roll low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Q-21 card
atimrogers wrote:
This card is explained at 3.3.34.

It's only MOSTLY explained...

So as I see it. If I have Q-21 in my hand and one of my Sailing (marked with the sails icon) Merchantmen is Intercepted!, then Q-21 swoops in from over the horizon to save the day. Otherwise, she acts as an Intercept! for the British Forces if no Sail marked Merchentmen are 'at sea'.

And I am not left handed.

Yes, Q-21.. That's what I said..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q-21!

Yes, the card event has limited use -- it's a defense card that can only be played in certain circumstances. But that is true of the majority of events in the deck -- some are quite specialized, and some are fairly easy to use. If you have Shipping Lanes and no German Warship, that's an event you can't play right now. If you have Damage Control and no ships to repair, you can't play that one now, either.

If you have no use for the event and don't want to hold on to the card until you do have a use for it, you can use it as an intercept card -- either, as you say, as a British attack or as an intercept to activate one of your German ships. If it's an easy decision, so much the better. I'm always struggling to figure out which cards I'm willing to burn as intercepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.