13 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Admiral Adama's Command Authority rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Adama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adama card reads: "Once per game after resolving a skill check, instead of discarding the used Skill Cards, draw them into your hand".

Because it is stated like that I would say that if someone played Investigative Committee and someone played Scientific Research and then at the end someone played Declare Emergency then all those cards including the cards from the destiny deck and those played by players for the check are all taken into the Admirals hand becase all were all USED Skill Cards for that particular skill check. Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, only the cards that were actually played into the Skill check count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I'll tend to think that the OP is right here. "used" skill checks seem to imply "all skill cards used for the check in any form" in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Adama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card mentions the word USED not played so that is why I was thinking all cards USED in the skill check go to Adama's hand which would be Investigative Committee, Strategic Planning and finally a Declared Emergency if they were USED in the check to reach the final outcome of the check pass or fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
LNAGary wrote:
I'll tend to think that the OP is right here. "used" skill checks seem to imply "all skill cards used for the check in any form" in my opinion.

No it doesn't. Cards used "for" the skill check means cards that are used as part of the skill check itself only. Investigative Committee and their ilk are used "before" the skill check and affect its parameters, but aren't actually part of the skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonErrico wrote:
The card mentions the word USED not played so that is why I was thinking all cards USED in the skill check go to Adama's hand which would be Investigative Committee, Strategic Planning and finally a Declared Emergency if they were USED in the check to reach the final outcome of the check pass or fail.

They aren't used in the check. Some are used before the check. Some are used after the check. None are used during the check.

Also, I think you mean Scientific Research. Nobody would use a Strategic Planning before a skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're going to rules-lawyer it, then I'll point out that it says "after resolving" and "instead of discarding". Investigative Committee and Declare Emergency are both played during resolution of a skill check and so would already have been discarded by the time "after resolving" comes around. You can't do something "instead of discarding" a card that is not about to be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the phrase "instead of discarding the used Skill Cards" clearly refers the discarding that is described at the bottom of page 16 in the rulebook, which reads "All Skill Cards contributed toward the skill check are then discarded into the appropriate discard piles." No mention there of cards that happened to be played as abilities during the skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Also, the phrase "instead of discarding the used Skill Cards" clearly refers the discarding that is described at the bottom of page 16 in the rulebook, which reads "All Skill Cards contributed toward the skill check are then discarded into the appropriate discard piles." No mention there of cards that happened to be played as abilities during the skill check.

Agreed. Fantasy Flight games have too many chaotic things flying around for the rules to comprehensively cover every possibility. The best approach with their games is to try to discern intent rather than analyze the exact meaning of every word used. (Even though I just did a bit of that myself, which I shouldn't have.)

What you're pointing out here is a far better approach. I think it's highly probable that the author's intent was to only use the cards used for the tally itself, not any parameter-affecting external cards like IC or DE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
They aren't used in the check. Some are used before the check. Some are used after the check. None are used during the check.

Sorry, but Declare Emergency reads "Play after strength is totaled in a skill check...". In other words, after step 5 (Total Strength) of the skill check, but before step 6 (Determine Result). That's pretty clearly during the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Obviously the two destiny cards are picked up as well, because they're normally indistinguishable from the played cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Smoo wrote:

Sorry, but Declare Emergency reads "Play after strength is totaled in a skill check...". In other words, after step 5 (Total Strength) of the skill check, but before step 6 (Determine Result). That's pretty clearly during the check.

Yeah, I said that badly. What I should have distinguished is that it is not played into the skill check; it is played external to the skill check and modifies its parameters. The timing of the play isn't the issue, it's the use of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cards played into a Skill Check are placed in a common pile. It is these cards that are "used" to determine the outcome of the Skill Check and whether the check is passed or failed. Once that determination has been made, then all the cards of this comon pile are discarded.

It is from this common pile of cards that Adama may grab be using his OPG.

Cards played to affect the Skill Check, (whether IC or SR before hand or the DE and other cards from Pegasus) are played into the discard pile direcetly- not the common pile - and are immune from Adama drawing them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.