Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deviate says:

TURN Day's location-tile over AND CHANGE Night's location tile.

My question is, if Day is on a neutral tile, can Deviate still be cast since you are unable to perform the first portion of the card? Or can you still cast it, just that the first portion fizzles and is useless?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D E
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning Day's location-tile is an effect, not a requirement, so you can cast the spell regardless of whether Day is on a neutral tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Sobczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one:
What happens when day and night are on the same tile?

I think:
If it was neutral it becomes day
If it was not it flips two times doing nothing (destroying mystify markers, but i don't see a reason for day to do it anyway)
but it assumes effects are resolved in the left to right order.
It makes sense, but isn't necessarily true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Nyu
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
'Turn Day's location-tile over..' is part of the spell. How can a spell work only half way through?

If Day is on a neutral-tile it's impossible to turn that tile over. Hence the spell isn't working properly. So it seems that there is a requirement. Otherwise one could cast other spells half way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
azumi wrote:
'Turn Day's location-tile over..' is part of the spell. How can a spell work only half way through?

If Day is on a neutral-tile it's impossible to turn that tile over. Hence the spell isn't working properly. So it seems that there is a requirement. Otherwise one could cast other spells half way too.

I'm pretty sure the rulebook says that you always do as much of a spells effect as possible. You can't choose not to do part of a spells effect, but you can cast spells that only have a partial effect.

Edit: Double-checked. It's on page 6 of the rules, under "Phase 2: Spell casting", complete with an example (using Mimic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Nyu
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Garou wrote:
Edit: Double-checked. It's on page 6 of the rules, under "Phase 2: Spell casting", complete with an example (using Mimic).

That's interesting. Thanks for mentioning that.

I checked the rules. It says: 'perform as much of the instructions as possible'. Mimic changes any 2 tiles bordering on Night's location-tile. So if it is possible to change 2 tiles, Night must change 2 tiles even when it's not in her favour!

So if you cast Deviate and Day is on a neutral-tile, which is not turnable (page 9), the spell won't work! There are other spells which change a neutral-tile to day/night-tile which are turnable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus E.-L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
azumi wrote:

So if you cast Deviate and Day is on a neutral-tile, which is not turnable (page 9), the spell won't work!

Are you sure?

IMHO this spell does work, when Night and Day are on the same neutral tile. As both parts of the spell are "instructions" and not "requirements", you apply the "instructions" partially: You will first try to turn Day's location tile (which won't do) and then you will change Night's (and Day's) location tile to a night tile. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azumi wrote:
Garou wrote:

That's interesting. Thanks for mentioning that.

I checked the rules. It says: 'perform as much of the instructions as possible'. Mimic changes any 2 tiles bordering on Night's location-tile. So if it is possible to change 2 tiles, Night must change 2 tiles even when it's not in her favour!

So if you cast Deviate and Day is on a neutral-tile, which is not turnable (page 9), the spell won't work! There are other spells which change a neutral-tile to day/night-tile which are turnable.

... but if you go on reading the example, you will see, that it doesn't depend on your choice. You have to turn TWO bordering tiles except: There is only one bordering tile you are allowed to turn (because of temple tiles, ...). If there is only one tile to turn, you only have to turn this one.

So I say: If on "Deviate" I can only perform one of two instructions, I have to perform only the possible one.

But Maybe Valentijn can solve this one for us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Nyu
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Scayra wrote:

So I say: If on "Deviate" I can only perform one of two instructions, I have to perform only the possible one.

I do agree with you. Since there is not italic text (requirement) we preform as much as possible of the spell.

Thank you for clarification. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.