Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok it's either a weird joke or I think somebody has created a shill account for the purpose of trying to scam people for money...ala...e-mail style.

But on the Geek...really?

It goes like this (sent in direct Geek Mail) -

MY Dearest In The Lord

I am Mrs.Marcelin Bamba an ageing widow suffering from long time illness. i
am currently admitted in a privet hospital in Abidjan cote d' ivoire, I have
some funds I inherited from my late loving husband Mr. Joshua Bamba, the sum of
US$5.500.000 which he deposited in BANK Here and I need a very honest and God
fearing Christian that can use this funds for God's work and 15% out of the
total funds will be for your compasation for doing this work of God. I found
your email address from the internet and decid to contact you.
Please if you would be able to use these funds for the Lord's work kindly reply me.

Your Sister In The Lord.
Mrs. Marcelin Bamba.
NB: Reply with this alternative mail for security reason marcelinelin@ymail.com

Admins can we get onto this please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrs Bamba's probably been trying to give this money away for ages, but no one trusts her because she keeps writing the word BANK in capital letters for no apparent reason.

Go on Neil, send her your bank details, driving licence and passport - What have you got to lose?

Out of interest, What's the user account, does she have any games owned, or strong views on Space Hulk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a new game. You know like all those browser games, think Evony.
Respond to her. Leader her on. See how much time she will spend conversing with you.

After all how could this possibly be a scam shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was certainly one loving husband!

(Thinks - rich widow, accesses a boardgame site, not long for this world! Must give her a call ASAP).

devil

Edit: What is a privet hospital? I have never previously heard of hospitals catering for a single species of tree. These countries must be so well advanced over us poor Europeans who have to handle all sorts of trees in the same hospital!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potential spam??

Sounds legit. I have been making my living by doing the work of God with money from African widows for a long time now and have never been disappointed. If you promise to visit her in the dark, loneley alley she lives in, she will probably be so kind and give you even 25% of the sum. It must be pretty difficult to get rid of money on that continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:

Respond to her. Leader her on. See how much time she will spend conversing with you.

Seriously: These people are criminals. You may be dealing with organized crime and if you manage to upset them, they may try to come after you. It is very unlikely that they have someone near you to give you a beating and they will certainly not travel to Australia to do something to you, but I would not risk it. If your account can somehow be traced to your real address or telephone number, just ignore this spam and don't try to make fun of them.

If you feel safely anonymous, however, you can have some fun with the spammers, but remember, these people are dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It only sounds like a scam because of the typos. She meant to say "5,500.00". See, now doesn't that seem more reasonable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

(Thinks - rich widow, accesses a boardgame site, not long for this world! Must give her a call ASAP).

devil

Edit: What is a privet hospital? I have never previously heard of hospitals catering for a single species of tree. These countries must be so well advanced over us poor Europeans who have to handle all sorts of trees in the same hospital!

Would it be too Carry On to wonder if there was a problem with her bush?

And the people I really feel sorry for are the genuine Central African philanthropists on hotmail accounts trying to illegally launder their recently-deceased relatives' inheritance into western banks through anonymous internet contacts, and meeting nothing but cynicism and ridicule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

devil

Would it be too Carry On to wonder if there was a problem with her bush?

Talk about your out of context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Potential spam??

Definite SPAM, that is.

And one of the oldest, too. Can't they ever think of something new to bother us with? Loved that "Super Fart Girl..." thread more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April VanGelderen
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't foget the . after the word BANK. (Assuming that's the reason why the "h" in here is capital lettered) goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 55 hundred? Usually these spam things I see in email claim they have millions.

And yes, just in case anyone doesn't know, it IS a scam. They scam your personal identification info you provide to scam others, and scam you out of money. People have lost thousands or in some cases millions of dollars getting fooled by this kinda "419" scam (they always say they just need a little more money to bribe someone or pay taxes or whatever, and they never send you any money). And even when shown proof it was a scam, people who have thrown money away at this often still think it was legit.

Other common scams to be aware of:

Any payments involving western union are 99.99% of the time scams (usually on ebay or craigslist). They do that to get the money anonymously so you have no recourse when they screw you.

If someone offers a check to you for much more than what the item is worth and asks that you just send them only part of the differance. This is a scam too, its usually a fraudulent check on a real account, they want you to cash it so they aren't the ones getting in trouble (you are), and then send them the rest of the money (usually with something like western union). For instance, if a custom painted Space Hulk was selling for $500, and some random guy offered a check for $5000 if they send back $4000 in the differance.

If it sounds too good to be true....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Harv wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
I am Mrs.Marcelin Bamba an ageing widow suffering from long time illness. i am currently admitted in a privet hospital in Abidjan cote d' ivoire(.)

Is she offering you a hedge fund?

It's a poplar mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Potential spam??

Definite SPAM, that is.

And one of the oldest, too. Can't they ever think of something new to bother us with? Loved that "Super Fart Girl..." thread more!

Well, I just received a mail from a poor Russian woman who only wanted me to send a portable cast iron oven to her so she could stay warm during the winter! Now, that's original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, it's Mrs.Marcelin Bamba here again.

My late loving husband also left me 33.52 Geekgold which he deposited in my Geek ACCOUNT Here. I need a very honest Christian or adherent of any other religion or someone of no particular religous beliefs to spend this for me.

If you would be able to use this, just indicate how much you want by clicking on the little gold coin on the left hand side and selecting the amount you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrs. Bamba better deliver on that Geekgold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong folks - I figured it was a scam.

I just thought maybe it was a prank or something as I couldn't believe someone would go to the trouble to sign up to a niche site like ours in order to try this.

And just when I thought BGG was my quiet little corner of the multi-verse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Don't get me wrong folks - I figured it was a scam.

I just thought maybe it was a prank or something as I couldn't believe someone would go to the trouble to sign up to a niche site like ours in order to try this.

And just when I thought BGG was my quiet little corner of the multi-verse.

No one expects the Spammish Inquisision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
Harv wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
I am Mrs.Marcelin Bamba an ageing widow suffering from long time illness. i am currently admitted in a privet hospital in Abidjan cote d' ivoire(.)

It's a poplar mistake.

Yews guys are funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
Barbarossa wrote:
Harv wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

It's a poplar mistake.

Yews guys are funny!

You are having a larch, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
And the people I really feel sorry for are the genuine Central African philanthropists on hotmail accounts trying to illegally launder their recently-deceased relatives' inheritance into western banks through anonymous internet contacts, and meeting nothing but cynicism and ridicule.

Oh, that's great. Truly, these are the saddest victims of the "Nigerian scam."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I need a very honest and God
fearing Christian that can use this funds for God's work and 15% out of the
total funds will be for your compasation for doing this work of God.

I´m not christian, so bad luck (and no money) for me... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Containerguy wrote:
I´m not christian, so bad luck (and no money) for me... soblue

You're NOT? But... you read the letter. She got your email information from the INTERNET. How could you not be a Christian?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clark
United Kingdom
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:

And if anybody ever invents a working penis enlargement product, good luck marketing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Uriah wrote:
matt_k wrote:

And if anybody ever invents a working penis enlargement product, good luck marketing it!

Well, Games Workshop did. y'know. And it worked!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.