Subject: Overlord variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing an alarming trend in the one game that we played (yes, that was a bit tongue in cheek) we were wondering if the Overlord might have it a bit rough, and if we were playing all of the OL's options properly.

When the OL revealed a boss, we still had him roll for boss placement since the description of each boss specifically begins with the "roll for placement" step. We wondered afterwards why if the OL chooses to only place one creature that he can't maximize the impact of a boss by positioning it. I think only one boss made a significant use of his power due to crappy placement.

Also, since the players not only redraw to 5 each turn but also get to pitch and draw one additional card, we wondered how much of an impact there would be to letting the OL pitch and draw a token.

In more general terms, we had four players plus the OL for the particular session in question. We made one mistake during the game that cost us two tower sections, and we lost one later due to a cluster of monsters, but even with the OL present, winning didn't seem to be that difficult. This was also a group of competitive gamers, so we were eying killshots for points wherever possible and occasionally making a sub-optimal move just to avoid making it too easy for the next person to get the kill if they were doing well for points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't see the OL being allowed to discard and draw a new token being that beneficial. Maybe eliminate the discard and draw option for the players instead?

In regards to the boss tokens, in the rules, it clearly states that the OL can opt to either play only One Monster and in which time, THEY get to choose- OR -they can play 2 Monsters, 2 Effects, or 1 or each, but has to roll for placement. I would figure that every Monster, including the Boss, would fall under that rule instead. So if the OL wants to play just the Boss, than they should be able to place him wherever he/she chooses.

I'm gonna play with some friends tonight most likely, and will try this out to see if it makes it more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.