Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of the Tagus River is the first battle in the recent C3i Magazine SPQR campaign using most of the SPQR battles published for the Second Punic War. Randy and I have set out on this epic task - 41 battles for SPQR and War Galley, which will probably take us the next few years to complete, given we don't intend to abandon playing other games in the meantime.

SPQR is a fairly time-intensive game, so we played this game over two sittings. Randy chose to play the Carthaginians, and I played the hapless Spanish for this game - one of Hannibal's early battles in Spain, before he moved on Italy.

Hannibal lured the Spanish armies into a trap, appearing to run before them until he crossed a small stream, then reversing his armies and destroying the ill-led Spanish rebels.

This pictorial report has the Spanish to the bottom and the Carthaginians to the top of the pictures.

The Carthaginians, in column, have crossed the river

The Spanish move up to chase them, not helped by their poor leaders which make all movement very tricky indeed.

The Spanish Cavalry crosses the river, and finds life isn't good when there are elephants involved. Meanwhile, Hannibal daringly crosses back over the river with his Phalanxes, exposing them to Spanish attacks.

The folly of crossing with the Phalanxes causes several to rout, but the superior leadership of Hannibal allows them to rally and the pursuing Spanish are trapped and eliminated. The Carthaginian cavalry moves across the river to menace the Spanish infantry

The Spanish Heavy Infantry moves to a defensive position against the cavalry, whilst the Carthaginian phalanx lines reform. The left cavalry of the rebels has now been eliminated, and their other flank is now exposed.

The final charge by the Carthaginian infantry and cavalry eliminates and routs too much of the rebel forces. The rebels surrender!

Final Rout Points:
Carthaginians: 70. Rebels 158.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session, interesting outcome.. Tom and I are doing the same- check out our Tagus.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419652
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been, thanks.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Felgueroso
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I would like to know what rules you have applied for crossing the river,
as a minor stream? o as wide stream according to the Heraclea scen. rules?

Thanks

Armando

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.