The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac» Forums » Rules

Subject: Maybe We Played It Wrong ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I re-read the rules and I have a feeling that we were playing the game the wrong way.

Just to confirm the LL and dice rolls. How do you interpret the rule.

We threw 5 dice but we threw them again for each player ! I doubt that now that I have re-read the rules. I think the one roll is used for all the players. From that one roll each player's LL is then worked out.

It seemed, at the time we were playing, that it was a bit odd to have just one roll for all players. I now really doubt that....."the dice roller" suggest that to me now.

Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wright
United Kingdom
Falmouth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only roll once (all 5 dice)and work out each persons LL from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
We threw 5 dice but we threw them again for each player ! I doubt that now that I have re-read the rules. I think the one roll is used for all the players. From that one roll each player's LL is then worked out.

The bit in bold is the (almost) correct bit.

The LL is the Load Level. This is worked out before the Dicekeeper rolls the dice, and this is the point where people can drop treasure to lighten their load.

Then, the Dicekeeper rolls all five dice, and this is the roll that all players compare against their LL to figure out how many actions they get.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederic Henry
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Nick is totaly right : Just one throw for everybody. Your load level is fixed before the throw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

One throw for all. It limits the impact of the luck in the game, and in a very appropriate way in my opinion. It's a neat movement mechanic, but I think it depends on everyone working off the same throws. That's how the rules were explained to me.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks All for confirming that I read the rules correctly.

During my weekend gaming, the three others insisted on rolling their dice on their turn. It just did not seem right somehow and that is why I had to re-read the rules today.

Next weekend I will insist that the my interpretation is correct and play the game as it should be played: by the rules. I wonder how the rest will take it ! cool

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Colapietro
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Next weekend I will insist that the my interpretation is correct

It's not so much an interpretation - the rules are pretty clear on this point. The single roll for all players it what balances the luck factor in this game. All players are fighting against the same conditions (available actions/speed of traps) and your choice of how much loot to risk carrying is what will make the difference among the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my goodness, it looks like I've been playing it wrong as well This definitely reduces a lot of luck based play. Thanks for pointing this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breezed past that one myself - was more focused on making sure I understood the mechanics of each room.

It seems like there is less individual luck playing it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

The LL is the Load Level. This is worked out before the Dicekeeper rolls the dice, and this is the point where people can drop treasure to lighten their load.
Can a player chose to drop treasure to lighten their load?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eightbit wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:

Can a player chose to drop treasure to lighten their load?

Yes, BEFORE the Dicekeeper rolls to set the number of actions for that round.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a nice mechanism that everyone uses the same dice roll. That way, the only variance in how fast you move is due to your own choices (how much treasure you carry, and which path you take).

If everyone rolled their own dice it would make it even more luck-based and chaotic....which is not at all needed in the game. The luck factor is good.

Fun game that we played for the first time last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.