Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received Carcassonne - Catapult expansion as a birthday gift over the weekend. Definitely enjoyed learning the game and the expansions (slowly over the course of a couple months). I purchased the Big Box 2, was a little overwhelmed, but was pretty adamant about breaking the game out and learning it one expansion at a time. Really look forward to playing Carcassonne and the satisfaction of seeing how the map evolves. Definitely has turned into one of my favorites. The Big Box is a pain to tote around, but I think the inconvenience is worth it.

Have not had the pleasure of playing the expansion this is my first impression of the expansion upon opening the box.

The good: I am really enthralled with the "idea" of this expansion. The additional tiles and bits add another dimension to the game that spices up the game. The tiles are still quality tiles - definitely like the fair artwork in the usual Carcassonne style. I'm not entirely convinced about the artwork on the catapult tiles (the ones you will actually hurl) as well as the measuring device. I'm encouraged that game-makers are thinking "outside the box" so hopefully more expansions can add to this already great game.

yukThe bad: After reading some other reviews, I can see where this expansion can get a little frustrating. Its almost as if you are introducing another element of luck. Suddenly the game transforms from methodical placement of tiles and meeples to random luck and skill with an instrument that looks a little difficult to control. Just like what the dice rolls do to RISK, I think we will definitely need some long breaks in-between games with this expansion in the mix (or we might decide to not play the expansion with the base game all that often).

devilThe ugly: Seeing how some of our Carcassonne games can get heated, meeples tend to fly (targeting certain players) in the base game. With the addition of the catapult, I can predict even more pieces flying in the air (and not in a good way).

Possibily will try to do another review, once we actually play a game with the expansion. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
You reviewed the game before playing it?

...ummm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah... i did. had to do something to pass the time...

I know it's pretty lame to review it before I played it. I'll try to hold off next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always update Your review when You played the game. The Catapult is a very good game isnt it? I cant wait for Your views on the gaming experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.