Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got a couple unopened booster boxes for this game in the hopes I could run a booster draft or sealed tournament with my local group. We like to take dead or dying games like Pokemon and Hecatomb and resurrect them for a few weeks because they're so cheap.

Anyway, has anyone had any experience playing this game in either format? How many boosters did you give out and what were the force construction rules? Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
I haven't done it, but I like what you guys are doing. I do the same with older games.

You probably already do this, but the only suggestion I'd give is to make sure that you don't "try to make a buck" when you sell the packs. If you got them cheap, pass on the savings. It's all about the fun of older games.

Since you don't have anything set, it might be good to rip open two packs and go head to head to check how long it takes. If I recall correctly, the point value of ships included in packs wasn't very wildly different. Everything you need to play a game is included in one pack, so you could just stick with that to have quick battles. Having everyone start with only a pack seems like a good way to go. Ignore points.

Something that I did for other games was, in later rounds, throwing in another pack or two of the game. This gave people a bit more incentive to really continue playing, and provided options, customization. In the case of Rcktmn, you could throw another pack at the players and simply say that people are limited to "2 cards worth of ships". I think this would still give them the chance to field a respectible combination of ships but still keep the points within reason, rather than just building bigger and bigger fleets (unless that's what you want).

Also, I'd make crew additions unlimited (as far as points go, not space)--to be honest I never used crew much in my normal games and so this seems like the perfect forum to really make them valuable. I'd allow doubles too of personalities...

Just some ideas. Anyway, would definitely be interested in hearing what you did and how it went!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest 3 packs for some decent battles. You need a reserve fleet to making mining worthwhile.

This gives 3 ships in your main fleet and 3 in your reserve. (fighters count as a single "unit" in this case)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.