BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Biggest. Board. Game. EVAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Click:
http://worldrecordboardgame.com/

Quote:
Luanga Nuwame is the first to admit he's obsessed with board games.

He's played dozens of them and has designed concepts for hundreds more.

Now he's hoping the Guinness World Records folks will create a new category for In Search of Sauga, a board game based on Mississauga that he plans to roll out next weekend.

Using 85 square metres of plywood, some spruce lumber and a lot of paint and stain, the 32-year-old designer created what he hopes Guinness will certify as the world's largest board game made by a single person. (He also built one huge die.)

He has no guarantees from Guinness, but he has passion – lots and lots of passion.

"I grew up in the '80s and have been playing board games since I was a child," said Nuwame, who was born in Scarborough and raised in Mississauga.

"You can say I'm an obsessed toy and game designer. This isn't work for me. I really enjoy it."

He runs an online company to promote his ideas for trading cards and board and card games and does odd jobs to help keep it afloat.

Nuwame said most of his ideas just aren't feasible to manufacture, so they sit on a shelf or in the recesses of his mind.

His first limited production game was called Political Targets. He has a new game concept based on the family tree.

"It's so hard to market and sell these ideas," Nuwame explained.

He hasn't won an endorsement from Mississauga City Hall, even though the iconic building is the centrepiece of his newest game. Hundreds of businesses have also turned him down for help.

"When I travel, people ask where I'm from. When I say Mississauga, they look at me with bewilderment. They only know that it's a city beside Toronto and they know Hazel the mayor. So I thought this would be a good way to promote the city.

"I'm passionate about board games, so I made this big, massive thing," he said. "It's more than a game; it's an interactive piece of installation art."

It's no dainty creation. In Search of Sauga comes in huge pieces, some spray-painted with names of Mississauga neighbourhoods, which will be laid on the floor at Vic Johnston Community Centre in Streetsville on Oct. 18.

Nuwame admits it's a bit like Trivial Pursuit for Mississauga, "with my own little twists and turns," where the aim is to reach City Hall.

People will become the game pieces, hopping from spot to spot by answering questions about the city.

He said it's not all about getting a world record, although that would be nice, too. "It's about board games as art," he said.

And for that, he's willing to roll the dice.

Article

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone "obsessed" with boardgames, you think he'd have a BGG account, and have his other games on here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting site. 300 bucks per student to teach kids how to make a roll and move. Must be a good course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaise Sciurba
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
So, on 1 page where he is talking about this giant board game, he says, "Mississauga city hall does not endorse my attempt and except for one single business, namely Streetville Treasures, no companies in Misissauga - not even the 300 I contacted - would help with financing In Search of Sauga. Add in lack of media support and community organizations refusing to help me promote the launch event..."

Then on another page where he is trying to sell his board game design classes he says, "You have just witnesses how one man was able to make a 900+ square foot game that caught the attention of the community and media... ...Just imagine what that man could teach your kids over 6 weeks!"

I just get the feeling this guy is just some really bad, smarmy salesman.

EDIT: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine very many thrift stores will have the space for it, either. snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't sound like he has a very good company if he's doing odd jobs to keep afloat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cicero
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just get the feeling this guy is just some really bad, smarmy salesman.

Or he could just be a plain old bad salesman.

Say a guy comes into your business and he says, "Look, I'm building this, like, giant boardgame that's all about Missasauga and I was, like, wondering if you'd want to, y'know, sponsor it."

"It's a boardgame? About Missasauga?"

"Yeah. It's got spaces and stuff with all the neighborhoods in town."

"So, what does 'sponsoring' cost?"

"I dunno. How much do you want to contribute?"

I can see this kind of conversation happening 300 times and nothing good coming of it.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

monteslu wrote:
Interesting site. 300 bucks per student to teach kids how to make a roll and move. Must be a good course.

I will undersell that for 200 bucks per student.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait for Troll & Toad to get their hands on it. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lue
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
I just came across this post and checked the guy's site. I'm not seeing the same texts or pages as others? It is weird that he doesn't have support for an idea like this, but he clearly lists media and community support on the Introduction page. Never heard of the World Records Academy though? Is that a Guinness wannabe? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Quote:
Luanga Nuwame is the first to admit he's obsessed with board games.

He's played dozens of them and has designed concepts for hundreds more.

Pah! My mom has played dozens. Newb!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Engleback
England
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"I'm passionate about board games, so I made this big, massive thing," he said. "It's more than a game; it's an interactive piece of installation art."

That would be a dice tower then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.