Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my second session report and one for a game I had never heard of before Troycon IV [Happy birthday Redjack11!] While others wrapped up what was the 'second round' of games at the con I picked up this game from the Table O' Games and chuckled with our friend Mat about how goofy it was! "Look Rubber ducks! Ha...what a hoot"

As we tired of waiting we jokingly said we should set it up and give it a go - I mean how long could it take? It would be good for a laugh if nothing else! So I sat down to read over the rules as Mat set up a 'mid level board'

There are various pre-set board set ups to use - easy, moderate, and hard - and different options for how to set them up depending on the number of players.

We dragged others that were just arriving into the game and with the opening bids...the sounds of duck battle cries poured forth! [note: the word itself lends itself to a greeeeat many jokes at a gaming table of mostly war gamers]

The game itself plays like a variant of Robo-rally - which is a game I enjoy but tends to bog down at times or have the bad effect of the last place bot not really being 'in the game' any more and having the fun the pack is having. You choose from a hand of three cards which one you will use for the turn - and based on the number value of the hand a player order is established. Adding to that are special tokens that a duck gets for passing over a buoy marker, as well as complications added by the bird duck [a roving 'dog duck' controlled by the person in last place usually], as well as teleporters.

While it might seem the stripped down version with only one card at a time might make it too simple to be challenging - anytime you hit another duck, the 'drain' [finish space], or the edge of the tub you stop - and your duck turns 180 degrees. This complicates things and keeps the fun factor up fairly consistently.

We breezed through the game and finished with a LOT of duck jokes and laughs by all. This is when we decided to drag in a full six folks to max out the number of players and then - picked one of the 'hard' maps for six players.

This became: Duckapacalypse - the board is set up along the lines of a center drain [finish line] with three 'arms' going out to the three buoys. The space leading to the buoy was TWO hexes wide - and with a full six ducks on the field it was a chaotic match to say the least. For myself it dragged on a wee bit past the 'this is fun' stage - but being war gamers we were not able to stop with three of the players being very close to finishing.

Of additional note is that this time - everyone was MUCH more serious around the table - trying to hinder everyone else while pushing forward. Lol - who would have thought this would be a game of ducking over someone.

With a truly brilliant play by one of the newcomers to the group using TWO of his tokens he saved - Carter managed to sweep in from last place to actually win it overall!

The game is great fun - much more than I expected - but the hard map combined with six players of a more 'hardcore' slant - changed it somewhat from what I feel is an otherwise great, light hearted, fun family game.

Thanks for reading! Go give the Duck a try - no really!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much for the great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, this is a fun game. I wish it had gotten more attention that it deserved.

If you get with this group again, you all should try out Mississippi Queen, if it's available. Sadly, it's been out of print for awhile. It looks like a genteel little steamboat race, where you stop at different ports to pick up several southern bells before end of race. I asked the owner if we had cannons and boarding parties, but we didn't get that. I was very dissapointed. However, your steam boats CAN shove each other around, down the wrong turn, into a sandbar, etc. Great stuff! All the other players got in to the same combative spirit and the game was great. Duck Duck Go! is the closest to this feeling of gameplay I've seen in anything in print. I bought it at full price at BGG.con, but thought it was worth it since I got to pick my ducks out. I even bought several extras. I just loved the variety and humor behind them.

Which ducks did you all use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel Jacques
United States
Casselberry
Florida
flag msg tools
It's ok - I always roll this bad.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay on this Myles - we had the pirate duck, elvis duck, a sailor duck, a rock and roll duck, and the last was a armored knight? duck I believe. =D

Hmmm...Mississippi Queen eh? I'll certainly have to look that one up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.