Popular Tags: [View All]
Louis Sylvester
United States
Lewiston
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember Knucklebones? That was a great magazine. I received about 6 issues before they went belly up.

Now I subscribe to Games Magazine. It's pretty good. Mostly it's filled with puzzles (like crosswords and such) and I enjoy those. In addition there are a few pages of board game reviews in the back.

But it's not enough.

So, I'm asking you, what other magazines are out there for the boardgame geek? Surely there is something out there that is devoted to boardgames - reviews, previews, news. That sort of thing.

Any suggestions and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Butler
United States
Paynesville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I remember Knucklebones. I have all the issues--even extended my subscription thru 2011--so, naturally, I was severely bummed when it went under. I even bought a subscription for the local high school library, hoping it would generate some new board game fanatics around here. It was a fine magazine, beyond question. Sadly, there's nothing out there at present to satisfy the board gamer's tastes--only a million of those dorky computer game mags featuring big-busted babes and android killing machines (makes you want to puke).

I also subscribed to Games Quarterly until it went under (a distant second to KBones) and occasionally bought a Games mag, but that is way too much into puzzles and crosswords for my tastes.

Right now, your best option is Boardgame Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoyN
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
I once met a native of this island and asked him, "Does 'Bal' mean yes?" He replied, "Bal."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, no suggestions, but I was wondering if anybody remembered a magazine called Game News. I liked it because it covered the gamut: boardgames, war games, and RPGs. In my hazy recollection (or fevered imagination) I was about to get a free subscription somehow when it went belly-up kicked the bucket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 issues of Spielbox which I received when I ordered the expansion tiles for Blue Moon City. I wish I could read German. An incredibly well produced magazine, at least based on those 2 issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KB has had plans (for well over a year) to reinvent itself as a digital version.

The latest launch date was this past July, but with the soft economy, they've had problems getting advertisers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Spielbox

Agreed... if I could read German (or if they had an English translation available to subscribers), I would get this one in a heartbeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Agreed... if I could read German (or if they had an English translation available to subscribers),

I just went back and looked at the entry for the extra Blue Moon City tiles, and they have an online English translation for the entire Knizia issue. That was a nice surprise. I'll have to check it out when I get home today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Sylvester
United States
Lewiston
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, outside of Spielbox which is in German, there is nothing out there?

Wow.

Here's to hoping that KBs manages to reinvent itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.