Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep in the Reikwald forest a Mansion stood silent in the light of Morrslieb, the chaos moon. Inside Irmella the vampire was unhappy. Those cursed witch hunters of Sigmar! Her influence was on its lowest. As she sat in her own thoughts she suddenly felt a strong force that almost knocked her to the floor. It was a strong disturbance in the winds of magic! It was dark magic!

Hours later Irmella stood in front of a legion of newly risen Undead. With here was Magdalyn, her trusted Vampire thrall and Dietfried the Necromancer. In front of them was a horde of daemons. They must be stopped. The horde was advancing against her mansion, destroying everything in their path. The mansion was the only thing she got left. It must be protected at any cost.

Background

I'm not an active Warhammer player. This was going to be my second battle using the 7th edition rules. I always battle my brother, and since he live in another city, we are lucky if we manage a battle a year. This time we choose Daemons against Vampires.

When I choose my army I had some tricks. One was equipping my heroes with magical weapons to remove the effect of demonic save (Was I in for a surprise!) and burning weapons for my skeletons to remove the regeneration of the Plaguebearers.

Vampire Army 2500 pts:

Irmella (Vampire Lord): Magic level 4, Carstein ring, Tomb blade, Lord of the dead, Master of the black arts.

Magdalyn (Vampire): Magic level 2, Sword of Battle, Flayed Hauberk, Lord of the dead.

Dietfried (Necromancer): Magic Level 1, Black Pariath, Scepter noir, Corpse Cart Balefire, 2 spells.

Magnus (Wight King): Sword of kings.

14 Skeletons: Spear, Full command, Banner of hellfire

14 Skeletons: Full command, War banner

Corpse cart: Balefire

10 Ghouls: Ghast

5 Dire Wolves

20 Grave guards: Full command, Banner of Barrows

5 Black Knights, Hell knight, Barding

5 Black Knights, Hell knight,

5 Black Knights, Full command, Barding, Pennant of Mousillion

Black Coach

Demon Army 2500 pts:

Lord of change: Magic Level 4, Staff of change

Skull taker.

Herald of Tzeentch: Flames of Tzeentch

Herald of Nurgle: Palanquin, Noxious Vapors, Stream of bile

20 Bloodletters: Full Command, icon of endless war-

10 Horrors

10 Horrors

12 Daemonettes

20 Plague bearers: Full command

4 Nurglings

5 Flesh hounds

5 Flamers

1 Fiend

Setup:

My brother got to choose scenery first. He put a forest on the right flank with room to maneuver on both sides. I did choose another forest and put it on the left flank with room for maneuvers on both sides. I choose not to put more scenery on the field. My brother put a farmstead between the two forests. The battle field was now four corridors.

I put one corpse cart, 14 skeletons with hand weapons including the Wight king, one unit of Black knights, and the black coach on the left flank. The Spear skeletons including Vampire Lord, grave guard including Vampire, one corpse cart including Necromancer and one unit of black knights on the center and Black knights and ghouls on the right flank

The daemons had Nurglings, Bloodletters including Skulltaker and Flamers on the left. The Plaguebearers, the horrors and Herald of Tzeentch were put in the centre. The fiend, daemonettes, fleshhounds and the Lord of change on the right flank.

Daemons round 1:

The daemons choose to start. The demons advanced. The Nurglings was placed in the left forest.

The Lord of change cast terrible magic on the Ghouls killing four with one of them turning into a Horror.

Vampire round 1:

The undead advanced. Both the forests and the farmstead now got a unit of Black knights. The dire wolves acted as a screen in front of the hand weapon skeletons as they advanced on the Flamers. The ghouls were left alone on the right flank to slow down the daemons. Vampire magic did raise more skeletons for the spear unit.

Daemons round 2:

The daemons closed in with the lord of change and fiend on the Vampire rear. The flamers took down all the 5 wolves, the Herald of Tzeentch tried to cast vile magic on the right black knights, but failed, The lord of change miscasted, and this ended the magic phase. The Flesh Hounds exterminated the ghouls.

Vampire round 2:

The Vampires created a line of zombies to protect the backside of the advancing skeletons and grave guard. The Hand weapon skeletons charged the flamers who turned 6 skeletons to ashes before they could reach them, and in the fight 3 more skeletons fell apart. The Black knights in the right forest charged the horrors and forced 5 of them back to the realm of chaos. The Black knight in the left forest charged the Nurglings inside, but failed to do any damage, but neither got any wounds in return.

This round revealed one of my big miscalculations. I was sure that magic weapons removed demonic saves. But that seem to have changed from previous editions.

Daemons round 3:

The Lord of change was cursed by Tzeentch again and miscasted. The Fiend of Slaanesh charged the newly summoned zombie line. The Zombies got to strike first because of the Corpse wagon, but failed to wound the fiend. The second horror unit tried to help their daemon brothers by charging the black knights in the flank. They failed and 13 horrors were banished from the mortal world without a scratch on the black knights. The flamers did better and turned the final skeletons to dust. The nurglings also did well as 3 black knights fell. The Lord of change flew over the Zombie line, still at the back of the skeletons and the grave guard.

Vampire round 3:

The skeletons and grave guard charged the Plague bearers, and slew 5 of the foul daemons. The Nurglings made the final black knights into a pile of bones in the left forest. The black coach charged the bloodletters in the rare and the black knights charged them in the front. Many bloodletters fell to ground but stood firm as the fight ended in a draw. The zombie line destroyed the fiend and a new zombie unit crawled its way up between the lord of change and the skeleton/grave guard back.

Here was my second miscalculation. I guessed the black coach would remove the rank bonus of the bloodletters. But it didn’t.

Daemon round 4:

The flamers closed in on the center and burned 2 wounds on one of the corpse cart hiding among the farm houses. The black knights were destroyed by the bloodletters and the black coach took much damage. The plaguebearers destroyed the vampire thrall but only a few casualties on each side beyond this. The Flesh hounds charged the Zombie line and chewed everyone except one into minced meat.

Vampire round 4:

The remaining black knights charged the plaguebearers in the back, but the black knights, skeletons, graveguard and the vampire lord failed to inflict even one wound. This was a disaster as it gave the plaguebearers room to reduce the number of undead so much that much of the rank bonus were lost.

The vampires failed to cast any magic. But a small victory was won as one of the plague carts was destroying the lone horror securing 50 points to the undead. The black coach was lost to the bloodletters and the lone zombie was an easy snack for the hounds.

Final rounds:

Disillusioned I stopped making notes. But the result was given.

The nurglings joined the fight by charging the skeletons that were also charged by the flamers in the back. I’m not sure about the second Zombie unit but it was removed from the table, I guess the flamers whipped them up in their way to the skeleton back. The lord of change charged the black knights in the flank. And the corpse carts were destroyed by the daemonettes and the hounds of chaos.

Surrounded on all sides and the magic of the daemons finally working the forces of undead crumbled quickly. The Vampire lord was cut down, and failed to use the Carstein ring, so at the end of Vampire round 6 there were only 5 graveguards standing. It was massacre clearly won by the daemons.

Conclution:

I did some obvious mistakes, and learnt something about the strength of even weak looking units. If I had managed to break the plague bearers the result could be different. The battle was fun until the end of Vampire turn 4. After that the battle was decided.

Lessons learnt:

If you make use a 3 month old list. Be sure to read the list so you won’t miss any magic items.

Figure out unit strength before you charge large units in the back supported with a small unit in the front.

The flamers are good at both shooting and close combat. Don’t go after them with small units, even if they include heroes.

Don’t rely on crumbling plaguebearers, go for the herald first. I really should have challenged him with my vampire lord.

Nurglings are stronger than they look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People who play warhammer at the local game store tell me that the Daemons are overpowered in this game and that people refuse to play against players who use Daemons. Do you feel the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great battle report. The hand drawn map at the end is a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
tibbs2 wrote:
People who play warhammer at the local game store tell me that the Daemons are overpowered in this game and that people refuse to play against players who use Daemons. Do you feel the same way?

It is easy to feel so when you have suffered a great loss. But last time we played I won with my Empire army, even if my brother didn't have many of the nastiest stuff then.

I feel that the Daemons are on the stronger side when maxed out, but so are Vampire Counts. I think it comes down to how you build your army. Try to make it funny to play against. If I win with an army I will change it, and try new stuff next time, just to see if that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for enjoyable warhamer games, just dump the min/maxing.

if not.. it gets pretty cheesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.