John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Friday night,
I was invited to witness a six players plus the game master began our quest to re visit this game.

Giant table was placed in a open Basement.

3D Terrain of forests and mountains and dungeons made this game look superb enhancing but staying consistent with the Board game concept.

There were six colourful armies. There were miniatures equal to 25 copies of this game , so the main battles had to take place on a separate table to justify armies battle.

To add a twist, They implemented TWO rules:

1. SPECIAL ABILITY:
Dwarves: Ability to re roll die results of 1.
Barbarians: Ability to have extra roll, extra attack if die roll result is 6.
Amazons: Ability to charm when Die result of 6, an enemy piece is unable to attack Amazons.
Necromancers: Ability to disappear when die result of 6 from the current location to any location that is owned.
Elves: Ability to win Tie results in die roll.
Orcs: Ability to bring extra army when die roll result is 6.
2. Hero`s used a D8 as oppose to D6 during combat.
Kings used a D12 as oppose to D6 during combat.
Wizards kept their main game Spell powers.

PLEASE NOTE:
a)All armies had the same Attack and Defence power.
b) Above ability factor is one die roll per piece.

The pictures of the main battlefields were amazing.

After few hours, the final battle the two remaining armies of Amazons (Played by our dear female friend Cornelia of Romania) agreed to battle the Orcs (played by Ryan of USA) for the title.

Barbarians and Necromancers were eliminated by the Orcs and were cheering the Amazons to defeat the Orcs. Orc player made some great Military tactics during battles earlier rounds.

Nercomancers were also cheering for Amazons. The fact that a female player has a chance to win the title is good for the game.

Dwarves representative did not care much for the Amazons as they were the runner up to the Amazons to challenge the Mighty Orcs.

The main battle took place and over 146 beautiful Purple Amazons
attacked the centre line of the Red color Orcs. Each army also had equal four Dargonlords as well (the power of Dragonlords were reduced to make this game shift more towards epic battle of armies).

179 Orcs withstood the attack in centre and pushed on each side, forcing Cornelia Amazons to retreat.
Within 35 minutes, the mighty Orc flag was rising high. The Orcs were now the winner of this event. Two in a row..
This was the 73rd battle of our series. Amazons never won this event. So close...

I just thought share this with you, Hope if interest is there, we will post some pictures on the BGG for your view.

Next Friday, we will use the 1st edition figures for its epic event. There are only five armies, the four from the base game 1st edition and the black color army which was represented by the Lord of the Ring RISK board game Trolls.

Take care.
J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
A great deal of promise and potential was lost when support for this game dried up. The website is no longer active and the series is now long out of print. In its time it represented a unique combination of questing within a multi-player war game.

I realize that a fair amount of work would be required to gather the elements together to form a complete 2nd edition that is fully compatible. Is there a chance that may yet happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
That did sound epic. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I'm glad I own the 2nd edition of the game. Sad to see that the expansion didn't get a 2nd edition treatment. Even though the game is done it can still be played. One thing I love about boardgames, unlike videogames, is they can be played forever. No worries about compatibility!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look at the "balancing mechanism" and was not convinced it did as good a job of accomplishing the objective as the advanced expansion did for four of the six races. I would be looking at thematic possibilities (and figs) for the other two races in hopes of being able to use the advanced rules which incorporate the heavies, archers and cavalry, along with sieges, fortifications, and etc.

It is "possible" to play the game as is but you may have to make a lot of compromises. Assuming you haven't got around to designing advanced figs/rules for the "shard" races, you have to first determine how many players you have. If you have five or six, forget the advanced version, which is a real shame as it adds a lot of game value as well as fine tuning the balance between races. If you are fewer then you have some options. You can play the advanced version, with or without the "shard" options, but must agree not to use the Amazons or Necromancers. However, if you want to play with either of the shard races (Amazons or Necromancers), again you must eliminate the advanced rules.

The next issue you need to address is which edition of the base game you have. If you have the 1st edition then you are probably in the best situation from a general compatibility stand point. The card backs will all be the same (a small but possibly important issue), and the race colours will line up (elves=red, orcs=green), but there may be a disconnect between the figure scale between the base game and the expansions (possibly not a big deal). If you have the 2nd edition (my situation), then you have a number of "small" but highly annoying problems with race colours, card backs, etc.

I have no idea what the fan base support for this game may be; but whatever it is, it could have been a lot higher...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have the second edition but not the other two expansions. I've read over the Crystal of Power rules and some of it seems to be easy enough to transfer to second edition. Specifically the hero rules and maybe the crystal shard rules. Though with the shards from what I gather there's cards that get added so you can discover them while questing. I suppose what you could do is add some random mechanism to add them to the game to simulate the extra ones popping in.

It seems from comments that the amazons and necros are out of balance for adding to the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sullivan
United States
Seattle Environs
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh-hem

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.