Subject: Pickomino compared to two other dice games (#1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m going to do a series of reviews of three of my favorite dice games in the same series. I will try and make a comparison between the three games, so people can make a choice if they want one of these games, but they don’t know which one is best suited for them.
The three games are Pickomino, Sushizock im Gockelwok and Hoppladi Hopplada.

Review of Sushizock im Gockelwok
Review of Hoppladi, Hopplada!

One day I was standing at the counter of my FLGS, waiting to pay for another game, when I was introduced to Pickomino. The FLGS salesman gave me a short demonstration when I asked what these dice on the counter were for. It centainly looked easy enough and fun and it only cost € 10 so it was an easy decision to pick this one up as well. It’s one of few impulse buys I don’t regret.

Pickomino is a little dice game by Reiner Knizia. It’s main mechanic is push your luck with take that elements. You have 8 dice, each showing one through five but no six; the six is replaced by a worm and it’s value is five as well.
First, you roll the eight dice and you take out one value, like all fives or all twos. Then, you can re-roll the other dice and take out a different value. You repeat this until you rolled at least 21 points and at least one worm. The higher you want to roll, the fewer dice you have left. If you roll a score from 21 through 36, you score a tile. The higher you rolled, the more worms are depicted on the tile you just won. These worms are your victory points at the end of the game.
Sometimes you’re not able to score a tile because a) you didn’t roll a worm, or b) you only rolled values you already had and therefore are not able to put aside a new value, or c) there are no tiles left matching or lower than your score. If this is the case, you lose the last tile you won. It returns to the tile pool, for others or yourself to be taken again.
The tiles you score are stacked. The top one can also be stolen if somebody else rolls the exact score of your top tile.

This game offers some decisions: which dice should I put aside; when will I stop re-rolling; how to hang on to this tile I don’t want to lose; will I take this lower tile and make it harder for the next player to score a tile, et cetera. But, it’s a dice game, you should mostly just worry about this roll and then the next. This game is great and that’s because it’s fun! It’s short, it’s easy to explain, it’s best in large groups and there is still little downtime, risks are rewarded so it’s always exciting, even in others players turns cause it’s also your tile that’s at stake.
It’s best in large groups because that’s when the take that element shines: there are a lot of top tiles and they can all be stolen! Going back and forth, everybody joins in and everybody has a great time. This is my filler of choice when playing with a large group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.