Subject: Plasticard, WizKids, and game pieces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erick Main
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK i have searched the forums, and please go easy on me if this has been covered. the Pirates of the Spanish Main and other various games are on cards similar to a credit card, some on this site call it "Plasticard". i have found places that will print these but I'm having a hard time finding a place that will print and die-cut the shapes to be punched out. any help with this is greatly appreciated. and does the recently defunct WizKids own the patent to this or can anyone use this sort of game piece process.

Thanks
Erick Main

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
erickmain wrote:
OK i have searched the forums, and please go easy on me if this has been covered. the Pirates of the Spanish Main and other various games are on cards similar to a credit card, some on this site call it "Plasticard". i have found places that will print these but I'm having a hard time finding a place that will print and die-cut the shapes to be punched out. any help with this is greatly appreciated. and does the recently defunct WizKids own the patent to this or can anyone use this sort of game piece process.

Thanks
Erick Main

Wizards of the Coast actually holds the patent. They sued WizKids over it.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:

Eric

It wasn't material or the die cut or what not, it was the naming convention of the game itself. As a result WizKids came up with the PocketModel name, rather than the "Constructable Card Game" that caused the issue.

edited typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessJester wrote:
Gamethyme wrote:

Eric

It wasn't material or the die cut or what not, it was the naming convention of the game itself. As a result WizKids came up with the PocketModel name, rather than the "Constructable Card Game" that caused the issue.

edited typo

Actually, it was a patent for a 'Constructible Strategy Game,' where players build models from punch-out cards sold in booster packs, and where said models are assembled and disassembled as a result of play.

It was more than terminology - it was the core of the Pirates game.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Mardby
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is referred to as plasticard is sheets of styrene plastic. Figuregamers that build their own models use it to build tanks and what not since its a very nice material to work with. You can score the plasticard with a hobby knife and the snap it apart. If the sheet is thin enough you can cut it with a pair of scissors. If you heat it you can bend and shape it easily.

If you google around you should be able to find a local business that work with styrene. Its used for signs and lots of other products. I buy my plasticard from a local business http://plastmastarn.se that work with plastics of different kinds to make all sorts of products. Find your local equivalent and they should be able to help or point out who does printing etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.