Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Wagoner
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that Space Hulk 2nd Edition is somewhat frowned upon. Why is that? I've just picked up the 3rd Edition and am reviewing whatever material I can fnd on the game's history.

Thanks for any info...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's mainly frowned on because of the rules. There seem to be a few discrepancies, because of the rules, in some of the counters (flame markers, etc.), but it also seems that you can easily get the first edition rules and proxy any necessary counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the rules that are the problem. Its essentially a new game due to the changes. The other detraction was a nigh total lack of support. No expansions at all and less than a handfull of White Dwarf articles.

Pretty much everyone though seems to agree that the 2nd Ed miniatures and tiles were excellent.

Theres a thread here or in the 3rd ed section detailing the diffrences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the big issues was the removal of the timer. Without the timer it took away the suspense for the marines. Now 3rd ED saw the return of the timer but it has again been tinkered with. No loss of time due to the loss of Sergeants.

Also the flamer had 12 counters in 2nd ED that you could shoot 1 to 12 of them if you wanted. Each counter affected one square. In 1st ED you had 6 counters and could shoot one at a time affecting a single board section. Effectively hitting one to 25 squares depending on the section you hit.

Brother Jim cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the Timer and Flamer point, a Marine could not spend Command Points on a Stealer's turn either, so that was another tactical element that was removed.

Also, while there were a bunch of extra missions created for 2nd Ed in White Dwarf, it didn't get the expansion treatment of 1st Ed, so your marines were pretty basic (Storm Bolter, Flamer, and Sergant with a sword).

Which is what I like about 3rd Ed. You get (almost) all the greatness of 1st Ed in one game

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.