Stronghold» Forums » General

Subject: I Was Looking Forward To This Game, BUT ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I had this game on my Wish List and ready to pre-order. However, after reading the problems some players are having and the number of questions appertaining to the "vague" rules, I am not so sure now.

How did those who are asking about the rules get their copy of the game if it has not yet been "officially released" ?

Does anyone know if an updated rule book will be included with the game when it hits the market ?

I maybe wrong, but it sounds like the present rules have been computer-translated and that is what is causing so many questions being asked. If that is indeed the case, I am crossing the game off my Wish List

Thanks in Advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

I had this game on my Wish List and ready to pre-order. However, after reading the problems some players are having and the number of questions appertaining to the "vague" rules, I am not so sure now.

How did those who are asking about the rules get their copy of the game if it has not yet been "officially released" ?

Does anyone know if an updated rule book will be included with the game when it hits the market ?

I maybe wrong, but it sounds like the present rules have been computer-translated and that is what is causing so many questions being asked. If that is indeed the case, I am crossing the game off my Wish List

Thanks in Advance.

Rules: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47571

Just think of this as another Space Hulk and you'll be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably rules updates and maybe even a new rulebook will be available at some point. I haven't seen such a huge number of issues as to write the game off entirely.

As far as I can see, the rules questions are coming from people who have just read the rules, rather than played with the game itself, otherwise they wouldn't have been so keen to see component pictures.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

We haven't. The questions so far have been based upon the published rule book.

Quote:

I don't know, but it's probably too late for the rules to be updated for the copies that will be sold at Essen. If and when the game gets a second edition, I would be disappointed if the rules were not redone.

Quote:
I maybe wrong, but it sounds like the present rules have been computer-translated and that is what is causing so many questions being asked.

No, they're not nearly that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thank you Bruce and Ian.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've definitely been guilty of asking a lot of questions simply based on having read the rules.

Nevertheless, I'll be ordering the game because I still think it's a high quality game that I'll get plenty of use out of. Give the rules a read and make up your own mind. Or wait for the reviews to start pouring in around mid-November. I wouldn't let the rules questions dissuade you though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Kevin, it is great that you asked questions because it not only helps the reader to get to know more about the game but also it's possible flaws and the problems that the rule book presents to the newcomer. Thanks from me.

Bought Castle Panic and found that it is a fun game but I am wondering about it's replayability factor. Somehow, Stronghold seems to have more depth and might be more strategic, maybe that will add to it's replaybilty factor.

Anyway, I enjoy reading questions and answers....sure helps. That is part of being on BGG

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are not so bad. There are very few real mistakes. The rest of the issues is because things are not always explained completely. The rule is there, but there is a little bit that you have to guess...
So you could guess right, or you could guess wrong, or you could ask the creator (which is what we do now. )
They had the same problem with Ghost Stories. Great game but the rule were unclear in places. So finally they made a FAQ, and an updated rulebook available online, and the problem solved. Certainly doesn't mean the game isn't worth buying...

By the way, I started taking all the questions asked here and officially answered and organising them in a FAQ. You can find it in the files section. I'll try to update it regularly until we have an official FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to admit that since now (perhaps it will be different in the future) answers for all questions were in the rulebook - I was just quoting rulebook.

This is huge game. Huge rulebook. Many rules to find. That is why there are questions. Not because these rules are not in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything I've seen, in the rules and also the design notes on BGN, I'm confident that a play or two will sort everything out. It usually takes that experience to make things "click" in a new game with more than three pages of rules anyway. Even small gaps can usually be intuited from the context of other game mechanics or events.

I just want the thing in my eagerly waiting hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
I'd like to admit that since now (perhaps it will be different in the future) answers for all questions were in the rulebook - I was just quoting rulebook.

This is huge game. Huge rulebook. Many rules to find. That is why there are questions. Not because these rules are not in the rulebook.

Yes, it's one thing to just read the rulebook and try to picture the gameplay in your head and wonder about a few issues, and another to have the actual game in front of you. In the latter case you read a section of the rules, have a question, check out the components or set up a gameplay example, and often the answer pops out at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.