Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Ici, c'est la France! The Algerian War of Independence 1954 - 1962» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Helicopters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steve stamatakis
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Shouldn't there be some sort of helicopter movement of French troops. This was the "first helocopter war".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that is too tactical a level for what is being portrayed here. French units are regiments (I doubt the French had enough helicpters to lift a regiment of troops), turns are measured in spans of several months, and the French can pretty much move in an unlimited manner across the map anyhow.

There is an event chit, if I recall, that in a general way represents helicopters and their influence on the war (I'm just too lazy to pull the game off the shelf and check).

Historically, did the French move large numbers of troops via helicopters in combat situations? Or even in strategic or operational lifts of any size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember it right the French could move a regiment by helicopters. But since they can move freely around the map anyway (especially late in the war) then that is not much of an issue.

The main asset, tactically, for the French was the new battle doctrine they developed with those helicopters. The para regiments were split up in two boosted companies and two headquarters. This meant that those regiments were in fact two units working together in battle, using helicopters to quickly move them both around. Like: Unit A landed and engaged a failek, unit B flew past and landed behind the enemy. when the failek tried to leave in a third direction then unit A flew to stop them while unit B flew to another flank and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.