Subject: Does it play well with only two players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jefferson Powers
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I was an avid player of the TCG and am thinking about picking this game up, but usually it's just me and my wife playing, so I'd like to get an idead of whether the game plays well as a head-to-head game.

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) playing this with two players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finally got my copy on the table last weekend.

It works with two, but there was no interaction between us. There just wasn't really enough to make us try to perform actions against each other.

It was still a fun game, though.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
It works with two, but there was no interaction between us. There just wasn't really enough to make us try to perform actions against each other.

That surprises me a little. I would have thought this game would work well with two. Did you remove the four buildings at the beginning of the game? Did you find you were not running into one another, or you just didn't care to interact? What factions did you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadav Abramovitz
Israel
Ramat Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played the game for the first time, and we were only 2. And it worked. And we interacted A LOT, fighting, robing, mesmerizing and screwing up each other all the time.

The thing was that, I played the Shamans and my opponent the Mad Scientists. The first spell I got with the Shamans was the obscenely easy to learn and cast "Show the Path", which practically changed the way the entire game is played for us. Normally it allows the casting player (the Shamans) to see the moves of 1 opponent beforehand, but since we were only 2, and to succeed in the spell all you need is not to roll '1's on all FOUR dice, the game got played pretty much (since the 2nd turn) in a sequence, first my friend giving his orders on the main map, then I.

So if you do play with 2, you should try to avoid getting the Shamans, or at least any spell that allows you to view your opponents strategy. It certainly helped me win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.