Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Mal
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played other games in this series, though I was looking at Storm over Stalingrad when it first came out. This subject (Normandy) interests me and I'm wondering how this system fits this larger scale operation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken dunn
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry not to have responded sooner, I didn't even know this game had been added yet.

The system can be made to fit any scale really; the hard part is that you need to be consistent with the scale across the board so to speak. For example, if you change the scale of the units from battalions to regiments (as we are doing in SoN) then you must also change the scale of the playing area so that the map represents a bigger area. Several miles instead of one mile. The same goes for the time scale. The turns are now days instead of hours perhaps. Finally, movement points and casualties must be considered as well as fire power factors and if Fire from area to area should be allowed (ranged fire). It is all relative and it works pretty well. The cards need to be changed up some as well. As much as I wanted to keep a "sniper" card in the deck (like the card in SoS) I think Nick is going to veto me...but that simply makes us find another card that has the same effect but call it something else. You have to have a card that messes with the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most famous incidents of the campaign must be the Tiger ace Michael Wittman's infamous rampage through Villers-Bocage (British/Canadian sector) on 13 June:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Villers-Bocage

Having knocked out 13-14 tanks, two anti-tank guns and 13-15 transport vehicles of the 7th Armoured Division, Wittman's Tiger was however then disabled by a 6-pounder (or possibly by a Cromwell tank). Wittman and his crew escaped on foot (they were killed later in a well-known and still controversial engagement on 8 August).

Might this not be a tailor-made replacement for the Stalingrad 'sniper' card mechanism? i.e., I play the 'Tiger rampage' card; you cancel it with the 'knock out the Tiger' card (or vice-versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hismhs wrote:
One of the most famous incidents of the campaign must be the Tiger ace Michael Wittman's infamous rampage through Villers-Bocage (British/Canadian sector) on 13 June:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Villers-Bocage

Having knocked out 13-14 tanks, two anti-tank guns and 13-15 transport vehicles of the 7th Armoured Division, Wittman's Tiger was however then disabled by a 6-pounder (or possibly by a Cromwell tank). Wittman and his crew escaped on foot (they were killed later in a well-known and still controversial engagement on 8 August).

Might this not be a tailor-made replacement for the Stalingrad 'sniper' card mechanism? i.e., I play the 'Tiger rampage' card; you cancel it with the 'knock out the Tiger' card (or vice-versa).

I would say this would be more appropriate for a tactical/grand tactical scale game. Remember the scale here is much smaller than in SoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.