Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I recently, as in yesterday (Sunday), finished making a travel version of Wings of War. I was joking with my wife that we could play it while she was in labor at the hospital today (Monday). She laughed and said, “Sure, bring it along.” She even agreed to take a picture or three as we played to post on BGG. As this was a scheduled induction it was all very civilized. We woke up this morning, showered, had breakfast and went to the hospital … no rush, no fuss.

Since this was so different than our first baby (which was rush and fuss … a lot of it) she did not pack any books or anything else to do while we waited. Around 11:30 she says, if you want to take out your game, we can play. Needless to say, I wasted no time pulling the game out and setting it up.

Soon enough, I’m flying 2 Fokker DR1s against her 2 Sopwith Camels. We start off and she splits her planes, going left and right while I take both of mine to the left. I figure I have an advantage now; I can double up on her and shoot them down one at time, basically having two separate 2 on 1 fights.

Even though she gets first shot my advantage increases because she jams her guns. The next turn the plane with the guns jammed pulls away while the other plane comes in. I figure now I have an overwhelming advantage, after all, pregnant or not, in labor or not, hooked to an IV or not, she’s split her forces and is going to pay for it.

YEAH RIGHT! Although we fly close enough to overlap none of my planes get a shot off. So instead of following my divide and conquer strategy, I split up and go 1 on 1. Without going into too many painful details my wife out maneuvers me. At least 3 times I thought I would have a killing shot and she wiggled away. No problem, since I was still shooting at her more than she was shooting at me I figure I still have an advantage.

Then, one of my DR1’s exchanges long range fire with the same Camel I’ve been hitting over and over again. I take the first card, Explosion! She draws a single card, the 5th card against that plane, and it stays in the air. She asks, “How many hits can my plane take?” So I tell her 15, thinking I must be close. Apparently, I wasn’t.

I’m down 1 plane but it’s OK. I’m still in the fight, even if it’s 1 on 2. I figure I got 1 healthy plane against 1 healthy and1 beat up plane. Plus, she’s in Labor, I have to be thinking clearer that she is, right? We fly around some more and I get a few more shots off at the beat up plane and then I manage to go head to head at short range with that same plane. We each take two damage cards. I get shot down but I figure I got her too, since this is cards 8 and 9 on that plane. I tell her I’m down and ask if I got her. She starts to laugh and says nope. I hit her with 9, yes 9 “A” deck cards and didn’t shoot her down (Four 0s, two 1s a 2 a 3 and a 5). In total she hit me with 5 cards including the explosion card. I hit her with 9 cards. She shot down two of my planes and I didn’t get either of hers.

She reminded me that the more she wins, the more she’ll want to play and I told her it didn’t matter to me whether I won or not, since she’s the GREATEST WIFE EVER; she played Wings of War with me during labor … and when we were done she said, “Too bad you didn’t bring Ticket to Ride.” Three and half hours after we finished our game she gave birth to my son. Like I said; GREATEST WIFE EVER!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to you and your wife on your new gamer! Eh... I mean son

Once you have some time to spare again, could you explain how you made this travel version of WoW? I'd might give it a go too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthew
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in my wildest dreams would my wife agree to play any boardgames with me at home, let alone during labour! You are a truly lucky man. Congrats on the latest addition to your gaming guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Addlestone
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this story, it's fantastic. Will yoube naming the new comer Von Richthoffen in testament to this game? ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
Once you have some time to spare again, could you explain how you made this travel version of WoW? I'd might give it a go too :)
Yeah, I thought Wings of War WAS the travel version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Congtaulations

Maybe the exitement made you son want to grow up quicker laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Sancherib wrote:
Once you have some time to spare again, could you explain how you made this travel version of WoW? I'd might give it a go too
Yeah, I thought Wings of War WAS the travel version...

You can take Wings of War anywhere, that is true. But you still need a full size play area (Scenarios in the rule book often call for 90cm x 90cm or 36 inches x 36 inches). With my reduced cards and planes I only need 12 inches by 12 inches.

And once the baby is home from hospital I'll post how I made it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
And once the baby is home from hospital I'll post how I made it.

You may want to rephrase that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! WOW! I mean wow as in wow! Like WOW! Gee and a son too WOW! What a Woman! WOW! What a lucky man u are WOW! As in like WOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife closed her eyes and held my hand during labor. I actually had time to finish my book. But I saw a game collection in the room. Including Pick Up Sticks!. Re-defined my idea of labor. In any case, the midwife told me that quite a few women like to play between contractions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pocketrravel edition is fantastic, just browse the photogallery for more pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls