Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the difference between these two? Is there one that is better? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Civilization is a variant of Civilization. It is not published anymore and it is very expensive, because it is a very good game (but quite long... six hours or more depending on the number of players). I've never played Sid Meier's civ but it is an adaptation of the video game. You place ressources randomly on the board, and develop your civ across ages. I've heard that your success will depend on the ressources you will get close to your starting position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization is THE classic game. It represents cultural developement around the mediteranean from around 3500 bc to 30 bc. No dice, very few luck, always an exciting struggle against the games system and your opponents.

Sid Meiers Civ is an attempt to adapt the PC game as a boardgame, a failed attempt. Time Range is from stone age to modern era. Some nice ideas, but alltogether far to random. You randomly draw for resources, you get diamonds or wine, you're lucky, because now your population is happy. Every unlucky one has to built an improvememt for happieness, which will be obsolet when a new age begins. Lots of miniatures. I replaced the ones from Conquest of the Empires (MB) with these and still have spares.

Obvious difference: you'll have to pay big bucks, to get your hands on Civilizaion and Advanced Civilization, whereas Sid Meisers Civ might be easily attainable in a thrift store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are a world and a biscuit apart. The only thing similar is the name. Civilization and Advanced Civ are great, but are best with 5 or more and can take a whole day.

Don't know much and the Sid Meier version outside of I don't think it's too popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AH games will cost you a bundle to acquire; the Eagle game is typically had for fairly cheap. This example is a clear illustration of "you get what you pay for".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization is what got the whole Civilization thing started. Many computer games later, Civilization: The Boardgame is an attempt get more profit out of the Civilization computer franchise. What do you prefer? A brilliant original board game, or just being a consumer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
Advanced - Sid Meier's
Players: 8 - 4
Time: 16 h - 5 h
Tech: yes - yes
Trade: cards - bars
Event card: no - yes
Disasters: yes - no
Fun: yes - yes
Military: equal - over powered

Although you may like your post, it seems to be referencing the wrong game. Sid Meier's game in question handles up to 6 players, not 4. I suspect the rest of your stats for the Meiers game are also in reference to a different title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he refers to this one:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/77130/sid-meiers-civi...

It did not exist in 2009 when this post started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romain wrote:
I think he refers to this one:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/77130/sid-meiers-civi...

It did not exist in 2009 when this post started.

I figured as much, but it is also not the game the thread was discussing. Adding it to this thread only confuses things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.