Subject: A question for all New Yorkers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Schoonaarde (Dendermonde)
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Have a Dikke Knuffel (A Big Hug for you non dutch speaking people :) )
badge
Stepping out on the road is a dangerous business. You have to keep your feet under you, or before you know it you'll be swept off to who knows where!
mbmbmb
What's the best way to get from JFK International Airport to this Hotel :

Holiday Inn
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS-MEADOWLANDS
283 ROUTE 17 SOUTH
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ 07604 UNITED STATES

We arrive around midnight and are wondering if it's possible with public transportation, or should we get a taxi or rent a car?

If we take a taxi, are all toll fares include or not?

Thanks in advance,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you may as well just rent a car for the whole time you're there. JFK isn't the most convenient airport if you're staying in NJ. Cab drivers will try to not take you as their fare since it's so far, and the trip would easily cost over $100. Granted, driving in NYC the first time can be a wee confusing and frightening. The drivers out here tend to be a little aggressive.

Public transportation would be an even bigger headache if it's even an option. Sure, it'd be cheaper, but we're talking multiple trains and a few hours blown.

If you do decide to take the cab route, you're far better hiring a service with a preset rate instead. (Some cab drivers like to take advantage of foreigners and raise the rates on them mid ride.) I would recommend http://www.dial7.com. A trip from JFK to Hasbrouck Heights would run $98 + tolls and tip. (Tolls might be around $15 or so since you'd be using two toll bridges/tunnels.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
Stepping out on the road is a dangerous business. You have to keep your feet under you, or before you know it you'll be swept off to who knows where!
mbmbmb
Thanks for the answer Erak.

How much tip does a cabdriver expect? (15% ?)

I might just rent a car, I'm not really afraid of the NYC traffic, but I'm afraid of getting lost. Might this be an issue?

Can you use Visa to pay for the tolls? Or does it have to be cash?

Best regards,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't live in NYC but pretty close. I would also recommend you get a car since you will be in NJ. UNless other than the hotel you will not be using the car at all. I know you can rent a car for a whole week for not much more than $150 (tax +tip+tolls etc. if you take cab option). There are often deals if you search online for car rental which you can pick up in the airport and return in the same place.

About getting lost, all I can tell you is, bring a GPS that has US map on it. In the dark, it would be hard to find your way when you drive, but the upside is, if you turn the wrong street you can back out and won't cause a scene. =) Actually you can get a cheap ass GPS for like $100 and might be worth it if you rent a car and go anywhere else than nyc or NJ. Oh a word about NJ, it's worse to drive and find than any place in NY, so, be warned. I know some NJers would disagree only because they are used to it. But the rest of us, even with good directional sense can get prety lost in NJ, therefore a GPS is highly recommended. SOme models of the cars you rent even come with GPS I know, so you can look into that.

ANother option,I am not sure if available to this hotel or not is, those private shuttle buses that can take you to palces you need to go or close. Y oucan probably contact the hotel and ask about such options. I thnk they can give you the best to get there from the airpot.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BelgianBoardGamer wrote:

I might just rent a car, I'm not really afraid of the NYC traffic, but I'm afraid of getting lost. Might this be an issue?

Best regards,
Peter

oh and no you cannot use any credit card to pay tolls. Cash or EasyPass (which is a tag you get if you travel a lot in the area and it links to a credit card,). I assume you will not have an EasyPass, so cash only I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kittyangel wrote:
BelgianBoardGamer wrote:

Best regards,
Peter

oh and no you cannot use any credit card to pay tolls. Cash or EasyPass (which is a tag you get if you travel a lot in the area and it links to a credit card,). I assume you will not have an EasyPass, so cash only I believe.

Thanks for the information, do they accept coins and bills or only coins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

Tolls between NJ and NY are quiet expensive i recall, so they'd better accept bills. =p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BelgianBoardGamer wrote:

Best regards,
Peter

Tip the cabbie anywhere from 15-20% (obviously, don't include tolls in that percentage!).

A GPS is a definite plus for you. Most car rental places will include it for an additional $10 a day if you don't feel like buying a new one.

As for the tolls, you can also ask the car rental place if the car comes with an Easy Pass. The last time I rented, there was one available if I wanted it. All tolls would then get billed to the rental. (Also, I found Budget Rent a Car to be the best deal, but Avis is usually good as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I didn't know some rentals come with EasyPass, that's good information, thank you.

GPS, not just a plus, I think it's a must! Worth the $10

ALso I second Budget. Good prices. We got Nissen hatchback last time which is kidna nice, small but gas efficient. We even put a scratch on it and theydidn't charge, so I will do business with them again for sure.

If you are unfamiliar with the roads in the area, it might be a good idea to prepay the gas as they expect you to return the car full. If you prepay you can return it empty. The prepay rate is actually reseaonable and even cheaper than some pumps around the area we rented the car last time (seattle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/hasnj/transpo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Which would be easiest :
- take public transportation to Manhattan?
- or use our rental car?

Still wondering, a rental car at Budget would cost about 260$ (gas fee not included) and a cab would cost about the same (there and back again for about 130$ each way).

Already a big thanks for you guys and girls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.