Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The next card from Seaside has been posted on Rio Grande's site:

Island: Set aside this and another card from your hand. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good against cards that opponents might use to mess with your deck. Two immediate thoughts are:-

1 - you can put Gold with Island away to prevent opponents gaining much with Thieves. Obviously this limits your buying power somewhat, but there are plenty of action cards to give +2 or whatever.

2 - stops the potential of your VP cards being destroyed by the Swindler & Saboteur.

I like the Island so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Honestly, if you set them aside until the end of the game, the only thing I can see setting aside is VP. There's no reason to set aside any other card since it would then be useless until the end of the game when... it's useless...

I suppose there might be cards that can allow you to act on set-aside cards, but in the absence of others, I can't see this as anything other than an "offshore haven" for Provinces and maybe Duchies.

But I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Henriksson
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Honestly, if you set them aside until the end of the game, the only thing I can see setting aside is VP. There's no reason to set aside any other card since it would then be useless until the end of the game when... it's useless...

I suppose there might be cards that can allow you to act on set-aside cards, but in the absence of others, I can't see this as anything other than an "offshore haven" for Provinces and maybe Duchies.

Well, sometimes it would be worthwhile to set aside those action cards which are effective early on but not later (eg coppersmith). And also if you have a gardens deck, you can set aside coppers etc if no victory cards are available for the island.

/edit

Here's the card

Island

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/FileUpload/island.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

Yes, protection against Swindler and Saboteur, and it includes 2 VP. But it's a one-shot card.

Worthwhile for protecting Provinces maybe, but not much else. That said, you are ensuring a minimum of 10 points, if you do combine this with a Province.

And it is a combined AP/VP card, so it would work very well with the Ironworks in D:I, providing two cards and two actions.

I can't wait to get my set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potentially extra useful with throne room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
the_pirate wrote:

Yeah, throne rooming the Island and saving two Provinces: YEAH. 14vps safe and 3 vp cards less in the deck. This card rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also thinking that it could be an opening turn buy to remove an estate from your deck early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Anderson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Key is cost 4, there are plenty other cards that gain you a 4 cost card. Two vps in the bag quick and easy, then squirreled away safely without clogging up your deck. It's also a duel card. Ironworks will LOVE this as will Tribute however.

Mr McHoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Anderson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the UK release date for Seaside been made available? If so, what is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the_pirate wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how this will work with the Throne Room.

Normally, if a card has multiple "steps", you try to do each one, but if you can't, you still move on to the next step. For example, consider the Feast. Trashing the card and gaining a new one are two separate steps. When you Throne Room it, the second time you execute the card you cannot trash it because it's already trashed. You can still execute the second step of the action, which is gaining another card. If the Feast were written as "Trash this card and replace it with another one", then that would be one step, and you couldn't get anything out if it with the Throne Room.

Which way does this card work with the Throne Room? The first time you execute it, you set it aside with another card. The second time, you are unable to set the Island aside, as it's already set aside. So you're unable to "set aside this and another card", per the rules.

I can see the argument that setting aside another card counts as "doing as much of the action as you are able", but also the argument that setting aside the Island is fundamental to the action. I assume that the full rules will clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Throne Room discussion aside, I like this card. It fits into the game well, adding a new element but not overpowering the existing ones. Playing an "Island game" will have meaning. One of my concerns with Seaside was that the new bits and game mechanics would require you to either play with several Seaside cards, or none. It's nice to see that the first two revealed cards could just as easily have been stand-alone promos.

However, I notice that this card still does not "effect your next turn". It effects your deck for the rest of the game. So there are probably several cards still to come with a different twist on the "put aside" mechanic. I'm curious to see whether they specifically put aside other cards, or if you gain an ability when you take the card back, or what.

I'm looking forward to using this. This card is definitely for putting aside Provinces. It's possible that in a game with no other trashing mechanic, you'd want to use this to get rid of the Coppersmith and other cards that have become dead weight. However, even the Coppersmith is more useful in your hand than a Province would be. If you have gotten to that point in the game and you STILL have no Provinces to put aside, then it doesn't really matter what you do, because you're losing horribly. (And even if you have no Provinces to put aside, you still have the 3 initial Estates to put aside, since in this hypothetical case there are no other ways to get cards out of your hand.) So it's definitely for Victory cards, preferably the big ones that you are trying to protect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think i'd ever island a gold though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am loving the ability of this card. This is still only 2 cards known from seaside release.

There could be other cards meant to play from your island or a secondary deck or hand. Sort of like Odin's Ravens.

For all we know there coupld be a pirates attack card meant to attack other people's islands. Or there could be a burried treasure card that allows you to pull a gold from your island and use it each time in your hand.

None of these may actually happen, but the anticipation is still awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful card. I could definitely see Islanding a copper if there are no VPs in my hand when I draw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
For all we know there coupld be a pirates attack card meant to attack other people's islands. Or there could be a burried treasure card that allows you to pull a gold from your island and use it each time in your hand.

There will definitely be some sort of pirate attack card. The description of the game on Rio Grande's site even mentions pirates.

I'm interested (and a little concerned) in seeing how those attack cards will work. If you mix all the kingdom cards together, you'll sometimes have a pirate-type attack without any of the cards that are actually used to set aside other cards. Does that mean that the attack is simply useless?

Dominion games almost always include kingdom cards that aren't very useful and just get ignored by everyone. But so far, there have never been cards that have to be ignored because they deal with mechanics that aren't in place for the current game. I'm hoping that there is some clever twist that makes "attack other player's set-aside cards" worthwhile even where there are no "set aside" actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
the_pirate wrote:
The next card from Seaside has been posted on Rio Grande's site:

Island: Set aside this and another card from your hand. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.

Nice.

There is a...nother.....card....like...this....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
One down side I can think of is the potential kingdom card mix may lead to a short game. At only a cost of 4 and the ability to be set aside results in these potentially being early buys especially as they conceivably can be used to the same effect as a chapel. If a game exists with a card like the Great Hall you will end up with 2 depleted stacks very quickly, maybe more so if Workshop is in play.

That said the number of combinations is so great this probably just adds to the replayability factor.

I am also liking the Island card and look forward to picking up the expansion next week. I note the price is $27.99 preordered (advertised on here), RRP is 37 Euros so maybe I can get it for 30 Euros at Essen or less.

Cheers
D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can really see this card bringing back a resurgance of Simon and Garfunkle as people squirrel away their provinces.

I am a rock ... I am an island... and my provinces will feel no pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like Island a lot. But I wonder if any of the bits promised in the game are designed to mark cards that are out of play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a really great card. My first thought was that it seemed more like a 5 coin cost than a 4. Compared to the Dutchy, the island is only 1 VP less, has the very useful feature of -2 Deck Size and the small bonus of the security of the stashed cards. Compared to the Great Hall (3 coin, 1 VP, +1 action, +1 card) that extra coin gets a lot of value. Island also stacks up favorably to Nobles and Harem for the same 2VP.

I'm sure it was tested at both costs, though, so I'm sure I'll buy it frequently at the mid/late game state where 4 coin buys frequently feel wasteful ("I've got all the actions I need, guess I'll take a Silver.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always though my estates could use a nice ocean view.

*picks up estate and puts it on a boat*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the cost, I see this as an early-mid game card, not a late game card. Sure, it would be nice to protect Provinces, but that assumes Saboteur is in the game to begin with -- 1 card out of 78. Also, trimming your deck is not nearly as valuable at that stage in the game. I'd much rather buy these right off the bat and use them to get rid of those pesky Estates without losing VPs in the process.

The other major use I see for this is that it will be a great addition to a Gardens deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cadamec wrote:
If only we could tap it for the blue mana....

Looks like more of a Dual Land to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Da L0C wrote:
I'm also thinking that it could be an opening turn buy to remove an estate from your deck early.

That's what I would do as well. Downside is you only get 1 use per Island unless you have Throne Room, and this card is probably going to bought out insanely fast. The ability to get VPs, while at the same time refining your deck to be MORE efficient, is going to be popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.