Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the rules and I think that I will like this one.

But what came to my mind:
According to the rules, the game ends as soon as the thunderstone reaches Rank 1 of the dungeon hall and if the active player just defeated a monster on Rank 1, he can claim the Thunderstone as spoils and put it into his deck (and my suggestion is, that this little fellow is worth a chunk of victory points).

So why would any player attack a monster, as soon as the Thunderstone enters play on Rank 3. This would mean, that the player, who attacks the next monster "gives" the stone to the next player (or the player after that one).

That doesn't make sense, or did I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the rules state that the Thunderstone is worth 0 points and is only a tiebreak mechanic. So letting your opponent have the tiebreak won't matter if you're ahead on points-- you just want the game to end.

If the game designer had followed your suggestion that the Thunderstone was worth a chunk of victory points, then you would be right that you'd never want to kill a monster because it would give the player on your left those points. This is precisely why the Thunderstone is worth 0 points, I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tedv wrote:
Because the rules state that the Thunderstone is worth 0 points and is only a tiebreak mechanic.
So I really missed something!

Thanks for the clarification. Now it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
the thunderstone card has 3 VP printed on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
the thunderstone card has 3 VP printed on it.

That just seems like bad design that may need to be house-ruled away. But we'll see how it goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
3 isn't that much. I had 37VP in our first 2person-game. The second one was stopped in the first quarter at which point I had 11VP and my oppenent had about 20.
Thus, attacking a monster even without winning can be a good idea if you're already in the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurutej Khalsa
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerPower wrote:
So why would any player attack a monster, as soon as the Thunderstone enters play on Rank 3. This would mean, that the player, who attacks the next monster "gives" the stone to the next player (or the player after that one).

That doesn't make sense, or did I missed something?

Ha! That is the same thought I had when I read the rules...and as has been clarified: the Thunderstone IS worth points, which seems to make it an even more serious issue.

After having played one game ( YOUR game, Thomas laugh ) it didn't seem like SUCH a big deal.

It was a bit like looking at the 2nd to last Dominion province. Either I buy it and the next player ends the game or I don't buy it in the hopes that I get to go again...but probably somebody else will make the calculation that they WILL buy it and the game will end anyway before it gets back to me.

I suppose that, like in Dominion, if you are seriously counting VPs you will know if handing your neighbor the Thunderstone will cause his score to exceed yours or not...and then, like in Dominion, you can do something else and PRAY that you get to go again or a weaker player gets the goods. But it can also be that you can grab a 6 point monster allowing the following player to grab a 1 point monster and get the 3 point Thunderstone. Not such a bad deal.

Also, even in the recommended "1st game" setup there are cards that can let you dispatch in various ways more than 1 monster so you can potentially grab the Thunderstone as soon as it shows up in the 3rd rank. Futhermore, we encountered situations where I knew that I was the most likely to slay the lead monster and could strategically pass or kill higher ranked monsters knowing that (STRONG luck aside) the other players' decks were unlikely to remove the front monster.

So with all of this it seemed to me that I could relax my judgment about the Thunderstone issue a bit and see it as just another game element to scheme around.

BTW, VP counting in Thunderstone stuck me as significantly more taxing than in Dominion. I am one of those folks where if the VP are hidden, then I have basically no idea where everyone is at. But with Dominion it is not TOO difficult, with some small effort to remember how many provinces each player has...and mostly that is enough. But in this game the VP cards are not quite as deadly to your hand so the incentive to grab lower VPs is more present than in Dominion AND the VPs are all over the place and you can't count what is still coming...so me VP counting (besides things like I'm pretty sure you have been taking more high VP cards than me...) is basically out.

Hope that gives folks something to think about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that Gurutej... I really hope that I also will be able to play my version of Thunderstone... which would be the first time for me anyway.

But maybe your right. I just bugged me first time I read it. So I will have a look at it and judge it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
tedv wrote:
Because the rules state that the Thunderstone is worth 0 points and is only a tiebreak mechanic. So letting your opponent have the tiebreak won't matter if you're ahead on points-- you just want the game to end.

If the game designer had followed your suggestion that the Thunderstone was worth a chunk of victory points, then you would be right that you'd never want to kill a monster because it would give the player on your left those points. This is precisely why the Thunderstone is worth 0 points, I suspect.

Okay, I'm just looking over old rules questions, and this just plain seems wrong.

First, the Thunderstone has 3 VP printed on it, and the rules state that if there is a conflict, you go with what is on the cards, so it is 3 VP, not 0.

Second (and maybe you had a previous version of the rules with errors?), the rules I have say, "The player with the most victory points is the winner! If there is a tie, any tied player who holds the Thunderstone wins the game." Which seems clear that the Thunderstone is not *only* a tiebreaker, but serves as the tiebreaker *only if the VP totals are tied*. If my opponent has 30 VP including the 3 from the Thunderstone, and I have 30 VP, she wins; but if she has 31 VP with the Thunderstone (that is, 28 from monsters/heroes/items and 3 from the TS), and I have 30, she still wins - the TS 3 VP are still hers, they are not limited to only an otherwise tied situation.

Also, the rules say, "If there is a tie," but they should probably say, "If any players are tied for the most VP." As written, if she and I each have 30 VP (she has the TS), and another player has 35, then the tied player with the TS wins, even though another player has more points. That can't be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.