Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy and I have played Space Hulk before, but a long time before. Over a decade ago - perhaps more. I recently succumbed and ordered a set from Games Workshop, which arrived on the weekend. This was my first game with my new set.

Who did Randy play? Well, look at his username. Does it tell you?

Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb

So, how did the mission go?

Perhaps its better to show you...

Well brothers, our job is to destroy the escape pod control room, to stop the Genestealers from escaping this hulk. This will be a dangerous job, but we're Space Marines. We can handle anything!

"Enemy activity ahead, Sergeant!" "Right! Keep on watch! Shoot anything you see!"

"Sir! What's behind this door?" "What are you doing? Get that door closed!" (Meanwhile, the first Genestealers attack the front - there is the sound of gunfire which rends the Genestealers to pieces.

"Good job, men - uh - look to your side." "Argh!" "One man down - now I will show you how it's done!"

"Sir - you know that door you wanted me to close?" "I'm busy now, Private!" "But sir! There's something behind it!"

"Sir! My gun's jammed! Help, sir!

Sounds of screaming fill the air, as the sergeant and the second last marine fall. Only the flamer-equipped Marine is left. Can he get to the control room and destroy it?

"For the Imperium!"

"Eat flame, mutant! And you, behind me! Eat flame as well!

"Argh! (then only silence, except for chomping sounds)

Yes, not a particularly long game. Jamming guns is always so much fun - and the Genestealers were mean once they reached melee range.

Boy, the pieces are nice. The textured tiles are a real winner (mine haven't warped... yet!) Keeping enough Command Points to do the extra actions the Marines need to survive is tough. There were a couple of times when just one point might have saved me - but I didn't have it, and my marines went down so quickly with the Genestealers just scything through them.

I'm a little surprised my flamethrower marine survived so long, but he just didn't have quite enough at the end.

There weren't enough marines to cause any time pressure at all; and I didn't manage to delay their deaths much! Good fun; I look forward to getting better at this game (and a more involved mission).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why close the door?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure nervousness and inexperience.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, doors are the genestealers friend - you can hide behind a door, you can run up long corridors safe from overwatch fire if the corridor is blocked by a door. And you can play 'open the door, close the door, open the door, close the door to waste ammo from the autocannon if it's on overwatch (although eventually the door will get destroyed).

When playing the marines best to 'move/fire' to destroy most of the doors to give you clear LOS down corridors to prevent the genestealers getting too close, also saves you having to waste points opening the things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, so for your next game just keep the door open, shoot the other one and leave one marine there on Overwatch. Push forward with the others as quickly as you can, use the flamer to block the crossroads and you'll be set. Or at least not get slaughtered as heavily as you apparently did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Great story, I love a good tragedy! (or in this case, a Tragi-comedy?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of my first play of Suicide Mission! In subsequent plays as the Marines, I've improved to the point that my last Marine dies in the intersection leading to the target room. Sigh. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously. Blast that door and the one behind, and move your rear terminator as far backwards as possible, so you get as many Overwatch shots off as possible.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only heretics play with unpainted termies. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:

I've begun to amass enough unpainted minis that I really need to learn how to paint. I especially need to paint my BattleTech minis, so that people can tell which side each Mech is on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:

Only REAL MEN can handle unpainted minis.

(Can you picture Chuck Norris painting minis? Can you? Q.E.D.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The blip converesion in picture 5 looks incorrect (although it is impossible to tell). If the 3blip was next to a door then one of the stealers would have been lost on conversion if it was voluntary and the door had remained closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
(Can you picture Chuck Norris painting minis? Can you? Q.E.D.)

He doesn't have to. They paint themselves for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
Right, doors are the genestealers friend - you can hide behind a door, you can run up long corridors safe from overwatch fire if the corridor is blocked by a door. And you can play 'open the door, close the door, open the door, close the door to waste ammo from the autocannon if it's on overwatch (although eventually the door will get destroyed).

I may be wrong but I believe the rules state that you only fire on overwatch if the genestealer is in LOS after the action it takes. So if the genestealer closes a door between you and him, he is no longer in LOS and thus you don't fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how it was in 1st Ed. 3rd Ed explicitly changed that and even though the stealer is not in LOS, if he closed the door, the marine must shoot at the door (don't have the rulebook with me to quote it).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
The blip converesion in picture 5 looks incorrect (although it is impossible to tell). If the 3blip was next to a door then one of the stealers would have been lost on conversion if it was voluntary and the door had remained closed.

Thanks for the clarification. As it happened, the conversion happened properly and then the genestealers moved into the position shown. (It was actually two conversions: the front blip was a 1).

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:

Merric actually predicted that someone on the Geek would definitely comment on the unpainted minis. Only took about 8 hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:

I've begun to amass enough unpainted minis that I really need to learn how to paint. I especially need to paint my BattleTech minis, so that people can tell which side each Mech is on!

Humor aside, I am a pretty poor painter myself, but with a little patience I got acceptable results. You have only to dive in.
And it's a very calming activity, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:

Merric actually predicted that someone on the Geek would definitely comment on the unpainted minis. Only took about 8 hours...

To the servants of the Emperor of man, vigilance is a duty, and duty is a joy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:

Humor aside, I am a pretty poor painter myself, but with a little patience I got acceptable results. You have only to dive in.
And it's a very calming activity, too.

It's a costly activity, too.

Personally, I really want to paint my minis, but when I realized I have to buy a primer, 5-6 colors, dip and brushes, it's just too much. Especially since this painting would for me be a one-shot deal and I would most likely have to throw all that stuff away.

They look pretty good unpainted, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I hope you post more session reports of your upcoming missions. This was hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.