Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey you wargamers and ugh er Small World players are you using the subscriptions? I may be missing something but this feature strikes me as esp. useful to us wargamers for following the development of several different games. Just subscribe to your fancy-of-the-week and be automatically notified of a new forum post or image post. They are a big time saver as you don’t have to go to a game page just to find out nothing new has been posted for a month or whatever. I had been using the quick bars but this is even better.

I can’t imagine doing this with the newer Euro’s as you’d be flooded with alerts but with wargames and older Euro’s this is a neat feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes i agree 100%

Not only can you subscrribe to games but to designers, boardgame categories (like wargame), or my favorite: dont subscribe to category(wargame) as its too broad, but just to mechanic(hex and counter). You'll only get hex and counter posts!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2026

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis González
Spain
flag msg tools
I agree with you folk!

But not only for well-known games...´talking about wargames, I´m following a "hombrew" version of Pandemic in the "DIY" forum what could be a good adaptation.

The game is called "cleanse the stars" and if you have played Pandemic I´m sure you´ll guess what is about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use them, and don't see them as a time saver. I'm interested in such a large number of games that I would always have a full "in basket" of links to check out. Sounds like work.

When I'm thinking about a game, I head to its page. Otherwise I'm happy just keeping my game forums display set to 'active' and browsing whatever bubbles up and catches my eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered subscriptions recently (have they been there all along?), and they've made my BGG life a lot easier and happier already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that one may also subscribe to users as well as games, forums, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with you all the way Gene! I did an experiment after subscribing to the war games I was following and subscribed to a Euro...WOW...I get alerts everyday and usually several. I have since unsubscribed from the Euro. It is a fantastic tool for wargamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Ulmstedt
Sweden
Enköping
Uppland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm using them to some extent, for following a few preordered games, and for some other stuff that happen to catch my interest. I also keep a few games on the quick-bar - but for the most part I assault move through the geekgunk click by click, just like in the old days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have subscriptions to most of the games I own (most of which are wargames) so if any updates, forum posts, images, or files are added to those games I get notified of them, and then I get to decide if they're worth reading or downloading or not. It's a nice utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
Note that one may also subscribe to users as well as games, forums, etc.

Interesting I hadn't noticed that. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.