United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering painting my ToI sets. Other than the time required, I'm concerned about wearing the paint off as a result of playing the game (storage, handling, in-n-out of the bases).

For those of you who have painted up your ToI figures (and I will assume have applied a varnish, gloss or matte), have you experienced any problems with the wearing of the paint? They'll look so much cooler if I paint them, but it'll be lame to spend hours painting to only have the paint wear off playing. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are brave for considering doing this.

I painted all my M'44 figures and was quite spent... I have not picked up a paint brush since.

I am curious about the same question though and also a best method of assembly line processing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will have some minor damages from time to time. Not a big deal.

It's worth the time and effort you will spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use PlastiDip spray for my gaming miniatures. A bit of a rubbery feel, but no damage to date. Just throw my minis in a plano and no worries. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than paint wearing off, you should be concerned about putting effort into painting a figure then ruining it by tearing the peg off the base while extracting it from a hole that's too tight. The number of times I've seem that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't paint the infantry, only the armor/vehicles, and have played a dozen or so games thus far without any wear on the paint. I used simple Tamiya acrylics (water based) without any overcoats with good results. I'm sure that, over time, that the paint jobs may wear, but for the time being, everything is wearing quite well.

And the time spent wasn't all that bad. Done in spurts (a couple tank groups at a time), it goes by rather quickly. Now, if I were to do the infantry....surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrelson wrote:
I am considering painting my ToI sets. Other than the time required, I'm concerned about wearing the paint off as a result of playing the game (storage, handling, in-n-out of the bases).

For those of you who have painted up your ToI figures (and I will assume have applied a varnish, gloss or matte), have you experienced any problems with the wearing of the paint? They'll look so much cooler if I paint them, but it'll be lame to spend hours painting to only have the paint wear off playing. Thanks.

As with any miniature game, a coat of varnish will help seal things in and mitigate chipping. When I go to paint my ToI models, I'll be using a speed method of simply painting skin tones, and some details, but leaving the base plastic alone. The idea is I'll be brushing on a minwax wood stain/varnish that acts as a wash and varnish to bring out details and protect the model. Since I'll only be painting the details, there wont really be much to chip off.

The user jtspecial did something similar here:

Basically only painted the face, hands, guns, boots, and some details. The majority of the green you see there is just the base plastic color, so nothing to chip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
Harrelson wrote:

As with any miniature game, a coat of varnish will help seal things in and mitigate chipping. When I go to paint my ToI models, I'll be using a speed method of simply painting skin tones, and some details, but leaving the base plastic alone. The idea is I'll be brushing on a minwax wood stain/varnish that acts as a wash and varnish to bring out details and protect the model. Since I'll only be painting the details, there wont really be much to chip off.

Basically only painted the face, hands, guns, boots, and some details. The majority of the green you see there is just the base plastic color, so nothing to chip!

Hm. Those look pretty good for just details + stain/varnish. But aren't you worried a wood stain/varnish will have chemicals that will melt the plastic? (Happened once to me when I used the wrong primer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrelson wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:
Harrelson wrote:

Hm. Those look pretty good for just details + stain/varnish. But aren't you worried a wood stain/varnish will have chemicals that will melt the plastic? (Happened once to me when I used the wrong primer.)

Nope, I've used my stain/varnish on 4 different types of miniatures of various plastic material and haven't experienced any melting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Green
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking of doing a 'Paint to Play' series of articles.

As some of you may know, I have painted all of my M'44 figs and ToI figs and have constantly been looking for ways to speed things up and at the same time, allow for detail if you wish to do so.

For my Americans in ToI, I simply used an olive green spray from Krylon. This gave them a durable undercoat. From there,I painted just the flesh. At that level, they looked good enough to play with and took no time at all.

If you want to carry on with detail, simply paint the flat black stuff (boots, barrels etc...) Again, good to go.

The next level would be browns (rifle stocks, webbing etc...). This would be the most level of detail I would do.

Then I simply finish them in a coat of spray Ceramcoat which protects them very well.

Again, this is an abbreviated version of what I was thinking but you get the idea.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad
msg tools
earache wrote:
I use PlastiDip spray for my gaming miniatures. A bit of a rubbery feel, but no damage to date. Just throw my minis in a plano and no worries. YMMV.

Where can I get some unit cases like this? I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan, so I can only order things from the internet (and a lot of gaming sites can't be viewed). What I'd do for a wallmart =P

My ToI base game and DotF are still on the way here from amazon, but I was trying to get a jump start on organizing things. We don't have any zip-locks laying around. My end goal was to consolidate both into the main ToI box in an organized manner. I assume those plastic cases would fit well into the box and hold all the pieces?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrLame wrote:
earache wrote:

Where can I get some unit cases like this? I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan, so I can only order things from the internet (and a lot of gaming sites can't be viewed). What I'd do for a wallmart =P

My ToI base game and DotF are still on the way here from amazon, but I was trying to get a jump start on organizing things. We don't have any zip-locks laying around. My end goal was to consolidate both into the main ToI box in an organized manner. I assume those plastic cases would fit well into the box and hold all the pieces?...

The cases in the pic are Plano 3700, but they're too big for the ToI box. I use two Plano 3650 Prolatch boxes for ToI -- one for the Germans and one for the Americans. You can get them on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad
msg tools
earache wrote:

The cases in the pic are Plano 3700, but they're too big for the ToI box. I use two Plano 3650 Prolatch boxes for ToI -- one for the Germans and one for the Americans. You can get them on Amazon.

If I used two of those do you think I'd be able to still squeeze Day of the Fox into the box also? Thanks for the help =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrLame wrote:
earache wrote:

If I used two of those do you think I'd be able to still squeeze Day of the Fox into the box also? Thanks for the help =)

Here's a pic of the base game combined with Days of the Fox:

Bottom left and center are two Plano 3650 boxes -- one holding the American bits and the other holding the German bits.
On the right are stacked the boards from both the base and DotF with the bagged overlays on top.
Top left are two Plano 3449 boxes holding tokens and markers.
Top center are two Plano 3455 boxes -- one holding British bits and the other holding the tokens and markers from DotF.

There's room in the Planos to absorb the additional bits and markers from Normandy and the Normandy boards can fit on top of the center and right.

Two additional 3449 boxes could be stacked on the ones on the left.

But that's a lot of weight to fit into a cardboard box. Since FFG has decided to end expansions for this game, (sadly, no Eastern Front or Pacific) has more to come, I'll be looking for the right tackle box to hold everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
earache wrote:
Since FFG has decided to end expansions for this game, (sadly, no Eastern Front or Pacific), I'll be looking for the right tackle box to hold everything.

Actually, this isn't true. On 1/27/10, FFG posted on this forum and their own (in the ToI sub-forum) that they hadn't canceled the game and that we should "stay tuned for more iron".

You can find the thread here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

So... I guess that means we'll all need more Plano tackle boxes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad
msg tools
Thanks a ton! Amazon wont ship those to me, for some retarded reason. But, I found them on another site and have them on the way. Now I just need my game to get here =)

I can't wait to start playing. I've been hounding the forums every day in anticipation, heh. Already read through the rules a few times... Axis and Allies really isn't the game for here, never have 6 hrs off at a time and there's no room to leave a game set up outside of playing it. This seems way more up my alley anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.