Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help!

I'm not sure my wishlist is quite at fighting weight. 13 games... but three of them are at the back with an "on the fence" rating of 4.

I think the other 10 are all reasonable for SS and provide plenty of room to choose, but I know I'm supposed to beef it up a little. I've gone through all the games I rate 7 or higher, and I don't think I've overlooked anything. I was wondering if I could get recommendations based on my favorite games (9s and 10s) with a comment or two. I've looked at the personalized recommendations feature, so I'm taking that into account as well.

SS should start up soon, but if you recommend a game in this thread that looks like a good fit, I will probably be able to try it in the next few days. I'm hoping to stumble across something I've overlooked!

Links:

My wishlist

Games I rate a 10

Games I rate a 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Good luck Jack. I have the exact same "problem."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look STRONGLY at some slightly meatier cooperatives, like Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Arkham Horror, and maybe even Shadows over Camelot. You obviously LOVE Pandemic (and so does your group), so this is a direction I would consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely it's behind last-year's schedule - I'm starting to wonder if we're even having it this year in light of a complete lack of news about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
RoboRally. You need more variety in your life, Jack.

Steam. You need a train game.

Tahuantinsuyu. Give Santa a challenge.

How is it possible that you don't already own Twilight Struggle? Did you wear out a copy?

Why are you trading Power Grid? And have you considered Power Grid: Factory Manger for your wishlist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Strangely it's behind last-year's schedule - I'm starting to wonder if we're even having it this year in light of a complete lack of news about it.

This might make you feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
RoboRally. You need more variety in your life, Jack.

Steam. You need a train game.

Tahuantinsuyu. Give Santa a challenge.

I should try these. That last one in particular jumps out at me.

Quote:
How is it possible that you don't already own Twilight Struggle? Did you wear out a copy?

Ha! No, I just added that this morning. I edited my comment to say that it's the new Deluxe Edition that I want. My current copy isn't going anywhere, but the deluxe edition is going to be a big party for the TS fanatics. Didn't there used to be wishlist comments? I didn't see them.

Quote:
Why are you trading Power Grid? And have you considered Power Grid: Factory Manger for your wishlist?

I'm not actively trying to get rid of PG, it just doesn't get played a whole lot and everybody has it. I just thought I'd put it out there in case it helps me get a hold of something I really really want. I'll have to look into Factory Manager, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite having only 13 games, you're doing ok. I would recommend a couple more smaller games, to give your Santa the option of several of those, rather than one big game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With over 170 games on my wishlist, I have the opposite problem

I use my Wishlist as much to help me keep track of what I should be looking for as what I'm likely to actually find. It's full of out of print and unobtainable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two recommendations:

Ghost Stories - You have a couple of co-ops on your 9's & 10's and I recall you enjoying LotR, so why not this?

&

Chaos in the Old World - You enjoy some area majority (El Grande which was an inspiration for this one & Tikal) and I recall you enjoying another Warhammer game... one that everyone is buzzing about. This one should break into the top 100 by tomorrow or the next day. With more exposure I could easily see it in the top 50.

If you only add one, I would strongly recommend Chaos. Not because I personally like it over Ghost Stories (both are rated a 9 for me), but because I think you have a bit more potential to enjoy it than Ghost Stories. Do add both however =]

edit: Here's a third one recommendation...

Stephenson's Rocket - Auctions, Buying Stock, Train Game, Route Building, Knizia, plays well with 2 - 4. Go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learn about games by using different methods.

- GeekModding
- Going through my Geekbuddies' lists (own, wants, wishes)
- Go through others lists (including the Admins, they rock)

I have currently over a 100 games on my list, and they range all over the place. And it will grow. I hope that this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.